chapter 5

It was nearly 72 hours since Bong Somin disappeared and we still didn't have enough evidence or clues for an arrest.

After finding Somin's diary, we discovered the the Bang family was far from perfect. Her father seemed like a kind and successful man with a good and steady job, but he had an alcohol problem ever since his wife divorced him and was taking his anger out on his daughter. She was too scared to tell anybody and was suffering in silence every weekend he came to take her until one day she met somebody.  

She didn't write in her diary who clearly he was, but we were able to deduct that it was an older guy. He approached her one time after soccer practice when her father was late to pick her up and started talking to her. She was scared of him at first, but he was clearly watching her for a while and offered his shoulder for her to cry on. He tricked the little girl who confided in him and ended up falling in love. She quit the soccer team so that the two of them could meet up in secret. The last entry in her diary was about how happy she was, because he promised that they would run away together and she will finally be free. The next day her father was found dead and she was gone.

We believed this was the same person that got reported for taking pictures of the girls of the elementary school, but the problem was that whoever he was, he was good at hiding. We didn't have a description of his face, his car or anything. All we knew was that he was spying on the girls from the forest behind the school, so Baekhyun and I went just there, while our coworkers were following other leads.

'' It's been nearly a month since this guy was reported to the principal of the school, '' I yelled from the forest and gazed towards Baekhyun. He was standing on a gravel road a little bit away and looking at something, while I was nearly waist deep in mud and fern, holding a flashlight in my hand and trying to find anything that could help us. The sun was beginning to set and it was starting to get dark again. '' Do you really think we'll be able to find anything? ''

'' You know, it really doesn't matter that you have a brain if you don't know how to use it, '' Baekhyun seriously answered, pulled a photo from his pocket and compared it to something on the ground. '' It has rained since the guy has been here for the last time, but I can still tell that the marks on the ground match the ones that were near our victim's car when Xiumin-sshi and Hye-rin found it. Our killer drives a motorcycle of some sort. ''

I frowned and continued looking around the bushes. '' Do you know how long it would take us to check every motorcycle owner in Seoul? ''

'' A motorcycle that was changed and upgraded... Interesting, '' he thoughtfully continued and ignored me and my complaining. 

My eyebrows slightly furrowed as I pointed my flashlight at something shiny on the ground. I bent down and picked up the screw that was stuck in the soil. I had no idea if it was actually left there by our killer, but it got me to think about what Baekhyun said. '' You're right, that is kind of interesting. It makes me think of the time I had to push Xiumin-sshi's car to the nearest mechanic and we got in to a really deep conversation about his job. ''

'' I don't care about any weird friendships you have, '' Baekhyun bluntly answered turned towards me and pointed his flashlight in my direction. '' Did you find anything? ''

I stood up again and raised the screw in the air towards him. My dark brown eyes shined when I'm continued: '' I'm just saying that we might be on to something, because you found tire marks that could be left only by a motorcycle upgraded by someone who knows a thing or two about that and Hye-rin said that there were strange particles containing zinc and sulfur on the steering wheel of our victim's car. ''

Baekhyun frowned with confusion and watched me as I walked out of the forest and stopped in front of him. '' Care to explain a little further? ''

'' Zinc and sulfur are both found in the petroleum base that is used for motor oil, which is a bit unusual to find on the steering wheel of someone's car, but commonly used by mechanics, '' I replied and my eyes shined at the realisation that suddenly illuminated his features.