chapter 11

'' What are you doing, rookie? '' Baekhyun asked and stared at me with disbelief. I finished putting on chapstick, looked at him and innocently smiled. He frowned and muttered: '' You know, if you were planning to charm someone, chapstick doesn't have the same effect as lipstick. I guess you do have a point though, because chapstick at least doesn't come off and leave any marks when you are... You know what, never mind. Why don't you just tell me your stupid idea on your own? ''

We were standing out of the office of the headmaster of the Yellow house of hope orphanage. We just finished speaking to him and it turned out that this place wasn't even nearly as full of hope as it's name made it out to be. In fact, it was the exact opposite. The headmaster was a rude old man who told us that he wasn't going to tell us anything or give any information until we'll come back with a warrant, but I didn't want to give up so soon. We could leave and come back with it, but those things always took time, which we didn't really have, so it was time to improvise and try another way.

'' You know, you should really stop calling me stupid and give me praise for once because I throw my dignity out the window for every case if I have to me, '' I muttered and glared at the investigator standing by my side. Then I turned around and walked back inside the headmaster's office. I was planning to try to charm him like Baekhyun thought, but I instantly forgot about that when I saw him looking out the window and quickly wiping a tear from his cheek. 

I froze on the spot and my eyes slowly grew wide with surprise. I wasn't expecting to see the man that was yelling at us just a few moments ago in tears. Then I looked around his office one more time, everything that happened and all he said rewinded in my mind again and I suddenly realised. The cold hallways of the orphanage, the thin children, the stack of bills on his desk and the photo frame of a young boy that was resting on his window sill. 

'' I'm sorry to be bothering you again, mister headmaster. I understand now why you're like this. The money issues must be really stressing you out and I just want to say that you are really amazing for leading an orphanage despite having lost your own kid, '' I murmured and bowed in respect at the old man. 

He was slightly taken back by my words, then he glanced towards the picture that was resting on his window sill. He was looking at it for a long time and I thought he was going to end up snapping at me again, but instead he sat down in front of his desk and sigh. '' Yes, I have money issues and I don't want to have my orphanage connected to a murder. It's already as tough as it is. ''

I nervously intertwined my fingers and looked at him with wide eyes. '' I understand your struggle, mister headmaster, I really do, but you have to understand ours. We aren't investigating just a simple murder, it's more than that. We are trying to capture a runaway criminal that killed twenty four people in the past. The last two were the parents of a child that disappeared the same day it happened and we suspect he took away. ''

The man sucked in a breath with horror. He took of his glasses and started wiping them as he mumbled: '' Twenty four, that is... ''

'' Yes, that is a lot. The child that we believe he took away was abandoned here years ago and we believe he is somehow connected to this orphanage as well.  That's why you must understand why we really need your help. We need to act fast and try to prevent any more murders from happening, that is why I am beginning you to help us. Please, '' I whispered, slowly got down on my knees and bowed my head towards the ground. I was being sincere, I truly care about this case and wanted to solve it as fast as possible to prevent any more deaths from happening, but I also really hated the prosecutor in charge of approving search warrants. I would kiss the shoes of the orphanage's headmaster if that would convince him to let us take a look at his files without a warrant.