Chapter 1

When the word "Chosen One" came up, what would be the first thing- anything- that came up in your mind? Was it slaying a dragon? Or riding on magical brooms and defeating a noseless evil lord?

Because Evelyn was a Chosen One.

And she did none of those things.

There was, however, an event she came up with, in regards to her title.

She called it The Arcan Trial.

And she regretted not listing the term, in a cold, comfortable place and not under the Sun for the event.

The Sun shone bright with no clouds in sight to hide it, burning off the skin of anyone joining the trial. The beads on Evelyn's dress reflected the light, and sweat went down by her neck below the thick layer of honey hair flowing down her back.

Frostville was a small town, and it was usually cold and chilly all year round- hence, the name. The trial was held at the open field, in front of the Leaders House Council.

Time had passed quite slowly with only half of the event ,consisting of praising The Chosen One and someone giving a speech about how grateful they were for the event. When the chief she chose for the trial- a comely young man- announced the turn for her speech, she gave out a low sigh.

It was fun, yes, for all the attention she got. Everyone would keep silent and focused entirely on her, and her words.

But not in this weather.

She cleared her throat, her dry mouth producing a smack sound as her mouth opened. "Welcome to this...trial and thank you for coming. No one in this world wants to be less than someone else, or anything, so, then, being a special Arcan is wrong because it isn't fair, and now I'll end my speech, thank you."

The words came out in a short breath, fast and direct. Scrunched eyebrows and frowns were clear on the audience's faces.

Oh, please! You can't expect me to deliver a one hour talk!

Her lips stretched to a confident smile. "Don't be troubled, dear citizens. I understand your frustration under the cruel Sun, and I have no wish to leave you all suffering any longer under it. The Chosen One understands."

The crowd erupted into cheers and smiles.

"All hail The Chosen One!" they chanted.

"The Chosen One! Evelyn Summers, The Chosen One!"

"She's kind and brave, and will save us all one day!"

They were like music in her ears, getting louder and clearer. Her smile widened, waiting for a while before putting a hand up. At the sight of her pale, manicured hand, everyone fell into silence.

This trial might not be so bad after all.

"Now bring me The Arcan!"

Three tall, bulky men among the people of Frostville marched forward. One of them bowed at her, the other two holding a thin-looking teenager by his arms, arms tied up behind his back. They pulled him forward by force, and he lifted his head to look at her. Evelyn frowned.

"Dorian?" she leaned forward, looking closely at him. "Dorian Clarke? Really, you?"

"We found him washing his feet by the stream, something normal- when we saw his Arcan Mark near his knee. It couldn't any other kind of mark, round and deep."

"Frostville citizens aren't allowed to have tattoos to avoid confusion," one of them spoke. "So we picked him up right there and then, and told the Chief about it."