Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9 - KELSIER

ALEC

     Alec stared at the gate in front of him, silent debating with himself. Internal warfare seemed to be Alec’s favourite pass-time as of late. One side of him was screaming to turn around and go home, but the other side of him was encouraging him to go inside, just for a minute. He had been in and out of these gates countless times. Just for a minute. 

Alec gripped hold of the iron fence and began to scale it. He figured it wasn’t worth trying the code, it had probably been changed since his last visit.

After successfully climbing the fence, Alec took a deep breath, straightened his weapons belt and headed towards the building in fron of him.

To the left of the block was a staircase, which Alec automatically headed towards. Looking to his left, he noticed a teddy bear and a note attached to it, which read “You’ll make a wonderful mother.” Jeez, Alec thought. Those two really need to keep their business private.

Drawing in another deep breath, Alec knocked on the door three times, and stepped backwards, as if suddenly awaking from a deep sleep.

This was a bad idea.

Alec suddenly hurtled himself down the stairs, desperate to get away from the apartment. Before he had even reached the first flight of steps, the door swung open.

“Alec?” Magnus asked, his jaw practically hitting the floor, “What are you doing here?”

Alec re-climbed the last couple of stairs, and stared at Magnus. His heart was beating rapidly as he stared into Magnus’s feline eyes. Magnus’s hair was dishevelled, and he was dressed in only a pair of jeans, with no shirt, socks, shoes or belt. The gold eyeliner that encircled his eyes was perfect as ever, and his cheeks were rosy red.

“I just want to – I mean I was wondering if we could talk?” Alec stuttered, suddenly fascinated with the floor.

“Sure, come in.” Magnus replied lazily, leaving the door open before slinking into the apartment.

Alec noticed that the interior of Magnus’s apartment had varied since his last visit, as was expected. Today, the room had the appearance of a log cabin, with a pair of three-seat couches, arm chairs, animal skin rugs and a large fireplace. Magnus disappeared into the kitchen, and Alec took the opportunity to take a seat in one of the plush armchairs, and clenched his hands together. His hands were shaking.

Minutes later, Magnus returned with 2 mugs of coffee. He set one down on the coffee table in front of Alec, and took a sip of his own.