Chapter 31

CHAPTER 31 – ANSWER MACHINE

MAGNUS

Magnus rolled the large roll of brown tape across the lid of the box, sealing its contents shut for his impending trip. The only things left to pack were the nick-knacks: Souvenirs, gadgets, the odd photo. Magnus had returned all the furniture to its original owners, so all the rooms were bare of any decoration, making Magnus feel out of place.

He had spiked his hair with extra glitter today, and applied an extra coat of eyeliner, feeling like he had to look his best for travelling across the globe. He had been to London before, many years ago, and the thought of returning had his immortal heart racing. His immense powers meant that he could just portal to London, but Kelsier had suggested they travel like a normal mundane couple would, and Magnus had not questioned her.

Kelsier had gone into one of the spare bedroom to pack up the vase, lamps and photos Magnus had forgotten to pack, and she had been in there for around 10 minutes. There must have been a lot of stuff in there, he thought.

Magnus strolled out of the master bedroom and down the halls still lined with photos.

The majority of them were of him and his party-guests, but there were a lot of recent pictures of Kelsier. The first picture was of them together in the park, taken only 2 days ago. Kelsier was carrying a sequinned umbrella, shaking it over Magnus’s head, throwing droplets of ice cold rain down his top. Magnus’s mouth was open in an entertaining scream, and Kelsier’s eyes were screwed shut in laughter. He took the picture down and put in the empty cardboard box he was carrying, careful not to fracture the glass.

The next picture was of Magnus and a woman named Tessa. She too was an immortal, and was visiting Magnus from her home in London. They had caught up the past 200 years over a happy meal, laughing about the latest pop-icons and how society had progressed. The picture showed Tessa mid-dance, swaying to a song that had far too many illicit meanings for her. Again, he removed the photo from its place on the wall, and rested it on top of the previous photo.

After passing by and boxing up several more photo’s Magnus noticed a plain picture frame, filled with nothing but a black backdrop. Completely bemused at his idiocy to frame a black canvas, he chucked the picture in the box and turned away, but not before noticing a picture that was all too familiar.

The picture was of Alec sitting beside their large fire with Chairman Meow sprawled across his lap. Alec had his nose in a book and was reading intently. Magnus remembered that Alec had never noticed he had taken the picture, which made it all the more special. Used to be special, Magnus sighed, trying to rif the image of Alec from his mind.
Alec had betrayed him, trying to end his immortality behind his back, and asking too many god damn questions. Nobody needed to know who his father was, and they never would know. Magnus snatched the picture and peeled off the blue-tac on the back, before crumpling it in his hand.

He is nothing to me.

Magnus walked a few feet before stopping.
He unfolded the sheet of crumpled paper, and straightened it out, before tucking it in his coat pocket.

I don’t think I’m ready for that just yet.

Magnus’s mind was racing as he walked to the spare bedroom, franticly trying to rid himself of the memories that flowed through his every dream. You know you could erase the memories if you wanted to, his conscience sneered at his, but you’re too afraid to admit that you don’t want to.

Magnus had never liked his conscience.

“Kel? You finished in here?” Magnus yelled, knocking on the door before entering. The scene inside nearly made his immortal heart stop beating.

Glass was strewn across the floor, and the window was shattered. The lamp and photographs were in heaps on the floor, knocked over and abandoned. The curtains inside swayed in the wind flowing through the open window, and the room was ice cold. On the windowsill, the word erchomai was carved into the wood.

They had taken Kelsier.

Sebastian.

Sebastian had kidnapped Kelsier.

Interrupting his thoughts, the high pitched chime of his cell phone blared out of his pocket, and Magnus raised it to his ear, answering the call after several attempts; the sight had reduced him to shaking like a frightened puppy.

“...y-yes?” Magnus stuttered, swallowing down his fear.

“Ah Magnus, it’s Maryse Lightwood,” Maryse spoke calmly, still addressing him as a stranger rather than her sons ex-boyfriend.

“Are you busy? We are going to need a favour.”
For Gods sake.

“Maryse, with all due respect, I don’t do ‘favours’ anymore.” Anger instantly boiled through him. The shadowhunters kept him as a pet, using him whenever they wanted, casting him aside when they were done playing, until they wanted to use his powers again. Not this time. No more freebies.

“Oh. Well then I’m sure the Clave will find a way to pay you for your services. Are you able to come to the Institute, now?” Maryse started, her confidence knocked by Magnus’s instant refusal.

“Maryse, something has just come up and I need to-“ Magnus began, before Maryse interrupted him

“Magnus. It’s about Clary.”

Magnus paused. Kelsier would want him to help Clary first, and then her. She was the kindest, most genuine person he knew.

Magnus would help them, but only for Kelsier.

Only for Kelsier.

__________________________
Comment opinions :)
What do yooooou guys think of Kelsier? ;)

City of All Things Ruined - A Mortal Instruments Fan Fiction (COMPLETED)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara