Chapter 3

Sparring practice the next day proved to be interesting. Sam, Bucky, and Wanda made sure of it.

While practicing projecting Steve into the air, Wanda aimed him too far to the left and when he realized he was hovering over Natasha, he tried to redirect himself so he didn't smash her. His arms and legs were moving about like he was treading water. This did not work because he was in Wanda's control. Of course, she dropped him right down, quite close to her. "Oh! Sorry Steve, that one got away from me!" Wanda shouted over to him.

"That's okay," Steve called back as Natasha reached down to give him a hand up. "Sorry, Nat," he said to her.

"You okay, Steve?" she asked.

"Yes, thanks," he said, walking away and looking at Wanda, trying to figure out if his suspicions about her aim were correct.

Towards the end of sparring practice, when Steve looked at the clock, Sam and Bucky looked at each other giving a knowing look. They knew practice was almost over. A few minutes later, when they saw Steve talking to Natasha, they put their plan in motion. Sam and Bucky started pushing and shouting and then Bucky picked Sam up and sent him sailing through the air. He knocked into Steve, knocking him forward, falling on top of Natasha on the floor. Steve caught himself on his hands so he didn't crush her. They were eye to eye, Steve laying on top of her on the mat. "You okay?" his eyes widened as he asked her. She nodded her head, staring at him in a surprised state, finally breaking into a little laugh. Steve slowly stood up so as not to hurt her, pulling her off the floor as well.

Steve turned to look at the rest of the team who were standing watching the scene unfold. "Barnes, Wilson, in the locker room now," he said firmly but calmly.

The two walked away and Steve looked at everyone else, "We're closing up shop for the day."

Natasha stayed behind with him. "Are those two still fighting?"

"I thought we were done with that, but apparently not," Steve said.

"They're like kids," she said. "Sometimes I wonder if they're both fighting for your attention."

"Grown men?" Steve asked.

"If that's what you want to call them," she smiled. Steve let a soft laugh slip out. "I'll see you later, Rogers," she said, giving him a grin and turning to walk away.

"Nat?" he asked. She turned back to look at him.

"Sorry about falling on you," he said.

She looked at the floor and then back at his face slowly, "There are worse positions to be in." She flashed a little smirk and continued on her way.

Steve watched her walk for a second and then started towards the locker room. Walking into the locker room, there was silence and he turned the corner to see them sitting on a bench next to each other.

"Do I have to lock you two in a room together?" he asked, it was rhetorical, of course. "This shit can't go on," he said.

Sam raised an eyebrow at Bucky. This was a worse reaction from Steve than they'd expected.

Bucky looked at Steve. "So is Natasha okay?"

"Yes, she's fine," Steve growled.

"Well... good," he said, it was coming out nervously. "We just wanted to..."

Steve's stance shifted and he crossed his arms, looking at Bucky sternly.

"We just wanted you to bump into Nat ...just a little bit."

"Buck..."

"Steve, we're just trying to get you two... closer," Sam jumped in, trying to soften the situation.

"Well, that's enough. At least you're not fighting," Steve said. He clearly wasn't happy with either of them. He walked out of the locker room, not saying another word.