Chapter 1: What Boredom Does

It's surprisingly easy to drown. The water is always ever so tempting. You're drawn in, especially on those sweltering summer days, with the idea of taking a quick dip to refresh yourself. At first, it will work and you'll feel so much better... You'll feel happy enough to let your guard down. To take a moment of brief relaxation. It's so calming. Nothing feels better than soaking in some water and letting your worries disperse into the surrounding liquid.

Until of course you want to leave.

See water can change in the blink of an eye. What was previously tranquil will become chaotic and you will soon find yourself being flung back and forth between the fierce waves and swirling whirlpools. You'll be dragged deeper into its icy clutches until any hope for escape will fade and you submit yourself to a watery grave.

New York was the city in which you would find yourself drowning. Born in the large metropolis, you knew the area around your home better than you knew yourself. Every morning you would get up and go through the same monotonous routine.

Get up and prepare yourself for the day. Eat whatever you can scavenge from the fridge. Greet your parents. Feed your pet. And then continue with the activities of the day. Mostly school.

To say you were tired and bored of your life would be an understatement. You craved excitement as much as you desired the race of adrenaline in your veins. Something that your life never provided you with for long. Maybe the occasional roller coaster ride or the spotting of a gang hiding in some dark alley. Thrilling stuff.

Days blurred with their monotony. Until one day, you were startled out of your boring routine with your friend's offer.

They had encountered a gang called the Purple Dragons. Also bored with their life, they had been drawn in by the dangerous members and 'accidently' gotten themselves involved. For a bit of payment, they would spread word about the gang through symbols and their voice.

And they had offered for you to join them.

Tempting you into the water.

The fact that you were concealed in an alleyway, adding the finishing touches to a graffitied purple dragon, was enough to explain what choice you had made.

"I think this is the nicest one we've done so far," your friend murmured. They were perched on the edge of a large bin, teetering a little with poor balance. "The dragons are going to be pleased with tonight's work for sure."

You gave a small mumble of agreement. If you had to admit it, you weren't actually listening. Instead, you were waiting for the tell-tale sirens to sound. Hoping for it actually.

Unfortunately, you finished the artwork with no real incident.

Your friend hopped off the bin and eyed your project. "Now that I'm looking at it from down here, I think it could be better." They laughed. "Well as long as you can tell what it is, we can get paid for it so let's snap the picture and get going!"

Working quickly now, you took a picture with your cellphone and began shoving all your materials into your bag. You were a little pissed off at them commenting about your art but you bit your tongue. If they had actually done something for once maybe they would be able to shut up!

"You're upset the cops didn't show?" your friend cackled. "Aren't you?"

You gave them a grimace and hauled your bag up. "A little," you muttered. "Now this night is going to be marked down as another of the world's most boring. I thought I was signing up for excitement, not to be some kind of downtown advertising company."