Chapter 2: Accidental Hero

The strap of your bag was digging into your shoulder leaving the skin red and raw. Anything that could possibly link you to the Purple Dragons was shoved within the rucksack.

As you walked into the more dangerous parts of New York, you assured yourself that this was the last time you would ever get involved in such nonsense. Making some quick cash wasn't worth your death. You had seen what your friend looked like when they were in school the next day... bruised and cut up beyond measure.

The door into the Purple Dragon's hangout was broken off and lying in pieces next to the wall.

Steadying yourself, you took a deep breath and entered. The guards were waiting inside and they both stepped up to greet you.

"Now I didn't think we'd ever be seeing you again," the one sneered. He always had the worst breath, making you recoil automatically. "We thought that the little scene last night would have chased you off. It tends to work that way with weaklings."

You chose to ignore that and held your head up high. "I've come to collect my pay."

The other one eyed you suspiciously. "Is that so? The sniveling creature that was here last night took both of your portions. Claimed you bailed on them."

Your eyes narrowed and you dropped the rucksack unceremoniously on the ground. The canisters inside rattled loudly. "Then I guess I should go and see them. Here's all your crap, you won't be seeing me again."

"Wait!" the second one said suddenly. He pointed at the bag. "What's in there?"

"A jacket, some paint, a cell phone, and some weird blue liquid," you said with a simple shrug. "Nothing to write home about. It's not like I've rigged a bomb or something to go off."

Stench-breath seemed to make the connection at that point. "Blue liquid?!" he asked loudly. He grabbed the bag and your arm and began moving into the headquarters. "We have got to tell the boss about this!"

Confused but curious, you put up no resistance.

Hun was a man you had met few times before and never spoken to. He gave off an air of danger in everything he did and said. The look he fixed you with when you burst in was enough to make one's soul whither.

Before he could even ask what was going on, the guard threw the bag onto the table and dragged you forward. "You'll never believe what this one claims to have."

"Aren't you one of those lackeys trying to prove yourself worthy?" Hun asked coldly. He carefully opened the bag and poked around within its contents until a spark of emotion flashed across his face. He removed a canister. "Where did you get this?"

All eyes in the room were on you and a large pressure settled upon your shoulders. "Last night I found it lying on the floor," you stammered out. "It looked important so I gathered some of it up and bring it back."

"How many?" Hun asked.

Never before had you been more thankful to your past self for keeping track of things. "Thirteen," you said. "But one is a little less full than the others."

Hun slowly stood from where he had been lounging. He placed the canister down and walked over to you. "Well done," he said simply. "You have helped the Purple Dragons immensely. Our partner will be very happy to hear that not all of these were destroyed in the battle last night. I'm sure you're expecting compensation for such a deed."

"Not really," you said. "I just – "

Hun continued as though you had said nothing. "Intelligence is lacking in this gang lately," he said. "They all care only over brute force. Clearly you are different..." he paused for a second before nodding. "This one is currently our most promising initiate," he declared.