Mastering the Monkey Mind

• Gewidmet My sister Julie

The human brain weighs just three pounds, and generates enough electricity to power a light bulb.  With a consistency like soft pudding, this incredible machine stores memories, runs our central nervous systems and sends information throughout our bodies at an astonishing 260 mph. Comprised of 75% water, our brains are capable of producing around 70,000 thoughts per day.  Sadly, research tells us that 80% of these thoughts are negative, self defeating and often responsible for feelings of depression, anxiety and low self esteem. Fortunately, mindfulness training and meditation can help us retrain our brains and allow us to find positive life affirming ways to interact with the world.

Our minds are clearly very busy. But if our thoughts were projected onto a movie screen, most of us would cringe with embarrassment. Researchers suggest that we spend the bulk of our brain power engaged in an anxious, fearful, self defeating internal dialogue.  As a result, we struggle with depression, anxiety and low self esteem. Our inner critic has a measurable effect on how well we function in our daily lives, and how we talk to ourselves can set us up for victory or defeat.  To achieve success and happiness in life, we must manage how we talk to ourselves.

Buddhists characterize the agitated, restless quality of our negative thoughts as the Monkey Mind.  Like a troupe of monkeys swinging through the forest, our minds rarely pause to savor the peace of the present moment.  Instead, they move wildly from branch to branch, chattering and screeching about what we have or haven’t accomplished,  how we fear we’ve failed or will fail. Our negative thoughts keep us in a locked in a constant state of worry while we fritter away the moments of our lives in a turbulent back and forth journey between what was and what might be. 

Because the quality of our thoughts helps determine our emotional state,  it’s important to recognize when our monkey minds have taken over so that we can redirect our minds away from the negative.  Mindfulness training is an excellent way to bring our monkey minds back to the present and settle them peacefully in the now, all without anesthetizing ourselves with food, alcohol, drugs or other unhealthy pursuits, but this takes consistent practice. 

Mindfulness training is used successfully in meditation and cognitive therapy, and acts as an inoculation against the restless negativity of the Monkey Mind. Mindfulness is a state of being; achieved when we focus our attention on the present moment, calmly accepting our thoughts and feelings without passing judgement.  Practicing mindfulness doesn’t take a lot of time, but it does require practice, especially at the beginning. You don’t have to sit cross legged on the floor (although you can if you’d like), and being mindful doesn’t mean you’re no longer allowed to think about your past or future.

To be mindful, we must draw our attention to the present moment, without intense concentration or effort.  We allow fears, judgements and negative emotions to pass without judging them as good or bad.  Any emotion is seen as temporary, and we remind ourselves that all feelings which arise will inevitably pass, like clouds floating across the sky.  Anytime we regard our thoughts, feelings and emotions (both good and bad) from a distance, without judgment or anxiety, we begin to gain control over our restless minds. Gradually,  this increased attention to the present moment gives us the strength we need to let go of negative thought patterns, replacing them with a peaceful acceptance of our lives as they are, not as we wish they were.  Worry about the past and fears about the future dissipate as we focus on the only moment we have any real control over, which is in the present.

Living in the now with increased mindfulness has measurable health benefits. Mindfulness reduces anxiety, alleviates symptoms of depression and changes the way our brains process information.  Because mindfulness is rooted in a deep sense of compassion and respect for our true and authentic selves, it also improves self esteem and decreases unhealthy coping mechanisms (such as addiction and denial).  

Whether we are washing dishes, driving to work or eating breakfast, when we become aware the feelings, sights, sounds and sensations of the present moment, there is less room in our minds for fear, anxiety and anger.  Anytime we notice our minds running away with worries or fears, we are encouraged to stop and observe these negative, anxious or angry thoughts with compassionate detachment, reminding ourselves to stay in the here and now.  Remembering that all feelings will eventually pass,  we envision negative feelings floating away, like soap bubbles.

With practice, mindfulness brings about a sense of well being and an increased  feelings of freedom and happiness.  When our minds are not controlled by the past or future,  studies show that feelings of depression, isolation and anxiety decrease.  Memory, productivity, creativity and social relationships improve.

Meditation is one of the simplest and most effective ways to become more mindful. It has numerous positive effects on mood, and leaves lasting and positive changes in our brains.  Scientific studies show that meditating regularly for as little as 15-30 minutes a day changes neural pathways in the brain, reducing reactivity to stress and anxiety, and increases empathy and understanding.

Learning meditation is not difficult. Start out slowly,  with 10 minutes,  and work your way up to longer sessions.  Begin by sitting comfortably in a quiet, peaceful place. Choose a relaxed but upright posture with your feet on the ground, but don’t rest your head on anything (that makes it too easy to fall asleep!)  Close your eyes, and focus on your breathing,  in and out, without any concentrated effort. With each breath,  notice how your body feels, what sounds you hear and any sensations you experience.  Thoughts will enter your mind;  don’t resist or judge them.  As they come and go, take note of them as if they are passing clouds. Observe them on the horizon of your mind, then let them disappear.  Although this practice sounds deceptively simple,  the effects of meditation are profound and will help you achieve life altering levels of mindfulness.

There are many different types of meditation, and there is no wrong way to meditate. You may prefer to choose a word (mantra)  and repeat that word to yourself as you sit in a relaxed and upright position.  With this type of meditation, keep your breathing relaxed,  and repeat the mantra to yourself silently.  When thoughts come,  let them pass,  and focus on repeating the mantra gently without strain or effort. Some people use the word Om as their mantra,  while others use words like peace, happiness or sanskrit words such as so-hum (meaning “I am that”). All forms of meditation are designed to clear your mind and bring you back to the present moment, increasing feelings of peace, empathy and compassion for yourself and others.

With practice, you can take control of your monkey mind and silence your inner critic. Then, you will find moments of peace and understanding rooted in the beauty of the present. Eckhart Tolle said, “Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it.”  Mindfulness and meditation can help silence the chattering monkeys that steal your peace of mind,  and you’ll begin to see the wonder and delight present in every waking moment of your precious existence. 

* I hope you've enjoyed this essay. I very much thrive on connecting with readers through comments and messages, so please let me know what you think.  Comment, vote and above all, please keep reading! It gives me hope and keeps me writing! :)