Part Four: Departure

"Goodbye, Ada!" you say to your father as you hug him tightly. "I love you so much." You pull away to look at his face.

"I love you too, y/n." He responds. It is nearly after lunch. After the council meeting yesterday, you had spent almost the rest of the day with Lord Elrond, knowing it would be a matter of years before you see him again, only if you manage to survive.

You then walk over to your sister. "Arwen, I will miss you so much."

"As will I," she pauses. "You have grown up so much. I am sad and happy to see you go." There is yelling from the Fellowship. You turn and look and see the dwarf beckoning you to come. You turn back to Arwen. "Good luck and be safe, little sister!" she says.

"Bye!" You pull her into one last hug then turn around and run so you won't cry.

You begin walking with the group, out of Rivendell. You walk alone, as you really don't know anyone except Gandalf (sort of) and Aragorn, and he was busy talking with Frodo, so the first hour or so is full of unnatural silence, for you at least. Everyone else seems to be getting along just fine.

You decide to go and talk with Gimli the dwarf, who looks a bit lonely. "Hello, Gimli."

"Hello, y/n. How are you fairing?" He asks.

"Well," you say. "And you?"

"Well, I think tha' I'm fine. Say, how long do you s'pose we'll be on this mission?"

"Uhh........" you say. You laugh, embarrassed.

But you two become fast friends. You discuss things such as favorite weapon choice and foods. You both have many things in common. You end up talking to him for the rest of the day, all the while Legolas stands behind you both, watching.

When the group becomes weary, you stop to stay the night. You lie down on your bed and begin to think of Arwen and all your friends back home. You wish you could go back. But being comforted by the thought of doing it all for their safety, you know that you must carry on. You soon drift off to sleep.

------------

You wake up to the delicious smell of food. One of the hobbits is cooking breakfast. You walk over to him and eat.

"So, are you going to be our cook on this trip?" you ask.

"Well, umm, I guess so. I do like cooking very much, and I wouldn't mind if I had to do it every day," he says. You smile as he reaches out his hand. "I'm Samwise Gamgee, if you didn't already know."

Taking his hand, you say "And I'm Y/N, L/N. Nice meeting you."

Soon the group starts moving again. It has been two and a half weeks since you left Rivendell and you have made good friends with everyone. Well, almost everyone, anyway. Boromir unsettles you and when you are around him you get anxious, so you don't spend much time around him willingly, and you've spoken to Legolas only a few times. Realizing this, you walk over to him. He looks tired, weary. "How did you sleep?" you ask him.

"I'm fine." You can tell that he lies, but he probably doesn't want to talk about it. You let it slide. "Did you sleep well last night?"

"Well, yes, I suppose so. I had a strange dream," you say. "I was back in Rivendell, talking with my father. He told me that I was not like him. He said that I would have the chance to do great things, but not yet. He told me to be prepared. 'For what?' I asked him. He did not answer. And then, I woke up."

"Interesting," Legolas answers. "You know, elven dreams often come to pass. You might want to talk to Gandalf about it."

"Well, I'm not sure that I want to share it with him just yet. Although, there are other matters of which I mean to speak of with him."