Part Twenty-five: Alarm

In the morning, Gandalf leaves on Shadowfax with Pippin, heading for Gondor. You watch them as they depart on your bed through your bedroom window, how upset Merry is, as he is torn from his best friend. You think about the happening between you and someone you hold dear. What if you lost Legolas? Then, it dawns on you. You were taken away from him for a period of time. Oh, the pain he must have felt.

You shake these thoughts from your head as your name is called. "Yes?"

"You're needed in the great hall. King Theoden wishes to speak with you. In private." 

"Alright." You get up, then fall. You hadn't realized you were still weak. But you get back up again and manage to walk down to the king.

"Hello, y/n," he says when he sees you, looking grave. "How are you?"

"Well," you say. "Why have you called me here?"

"I wish I could say just to talk and enjoy ourselves, but unfortunately that isn't the case."

"Is something wrong, milord?"

"Well, you see, I'm not sure. It's Eowyn." He looks down. "She's been acting quite strangely. I don't know if she's alright. Can you just...check on her? You're her friend, right?"

"Yes, of course I'm her friend, I'll go see her now." So you walk to her room, worried a bit. When you get there, you knock on the door. "Eowyn," you say. "Eowyn, are you in there?" You stop knocking and listen. 

At first, you don't hear anything, but then you catch a sound, something of a sob. You burst through the door to find Eowyn curled up in a blanket in the corner of her room, crying. "Oh, dear Eowyn, what is wrong?"

She looks up and sees you and just cries some more. You walk over to her. 

When she finally calms down, she says: "I've had a reoccurring nightmare, y/n. I dreamed  I saw great wave climbing over green lands and above the hills. I stood upon the brink. It was utterly dark in the abyss before my feet. A light shone behind me but I could not turn," she says, starting to cry again. "I could only stand there, waiting."

"Oh," you say, rubbing her back lovingly. "It'll be alright. Have you told anyone else?"

"Only Aragorn, right when it first happened. But it's been coming back and every time it gets more intense, scarier. What does it mean, y/n?"

You look down. "I'm not sure, Eowyn. But I do think it is someone trying to test you, to see how strong you really are." You look up at her. "Never let them see you down, for that gives them empowerment."

Eowyn looks at you."I won't. Thanks for that, y/n. It really helps." She smiles. 

"It was the least I could do," you admit. You give her a hug and then walk towards the door. Then, you turn around. "Just...call for me if you need anything, alright?"

"I will," she as she smiles. "Thanks again!" You walk out.

------------

Later, you're in your room reading when you see, out the window, a sudden bright orange light coming from the distant mountains. You rush out.

"Legolas!" you exclaim when you find him, excitedly. "Come here!" You grab his arm and drag him to your bedroom window. "What is it?" you ask.

"It's a signal, a beacon." He looks at you. "Gondor needs Rohan's help."