prologue.

»»————- ☆ ————-««

( prologue. )

»»————- ☆ ————-««   

It had been exactly a year since the incident with the time machine.

And it had been exactly a year since Natasha and Steve got together.

In addition to everything new that's happened, the Avengers had just finished stopping an artificial intelligence that threatened to eradicate mankind. They called him Ultron. He was, unfortunately, yet not surprisingly, created by Tony Stark with the purpose of helping them defend the Earth from any kind of threats. 

Tony was led to believe that a more powerful force, much more powerful than their previous enemies would soon come, and that's what drove him to create this. To creating Ultron.

But it completely backfired on him.

As such, the Avengers were forced to encounter another heartbreaking battle of measuring civilian casualties while destroying a bunch of android robots. 

It really wasn't supposed to be much of a problem since this wasn't their first time as a whole team to fight and stand their ground. But it is the first time that Natasha and Steve had fought with the team since they got together. 

Since none of the team knew that they were in the relationship (except Tony) because they never really got the chance to tell them when the Avengers went separate ways as shortly after the time machine incident happened, not only was the guilt eating them up of hiding these to their friends (to Clint, especially, in Natasha's case), but it was becoming harder to do it.

It was becoming harder and harder for the both of them to separate profession and personal relationships once they were out there in the field. Especially, in Steve's case. Since he was captain, he always had the final call in giving out orders. And it became a standard thing for the team to simply follow it without questioning anything at all.

But sometimes—no, actually most of the time, Natasha would forget that. She knew it was very uncharacteristically immature and unprofessional of her to do such a thing, but she couldn't stop herself. She would always have to keep in mind that once they were out there, there was no Steve and Natasha. He couldn't call her 'love' nor could she call him his. He was not her boyfriend and she was not his girlfriend. They were nothing but teammates, allies, and partners.

He was Captain America while she was Black Widow.

And something tells them that if they couldn't keep sticking into their own agreement of 'professional and personal don't mesh well together', then it wouldn't be long enough for everyone to find out about them.

Meanwhile, they were given a new facility since they figured that the tower was too cramped up now for them to stay in—especially when they were getting new recruits in the team.

"One of our tech boys flagged this."

Natasha turned her head to see Nick Fury approaching her.

"Splashed down in the Banda Sea, could be the Quinjet," She leaned over to see a digital map of what the director was pertaining to. "But with Stark's stealth tech, we still can't track the damn thing."

She couldn't suppress the sad sigh escaping her lips, "Right."

When the Avengers finally managed to defeat Ultron, they also went through some of their own losses as well. Even if they're doing their best to save everyone, it also comes with a price. Unfortunately, that price took a toll on the life of their former teammate, Quicksilver, and led to the disappearance of Hulk.