Chapter Three

It was midnight. The hospital was silent, with only a few nurses and personnel roaming the corridors. This made it easy for a certain man to sneak in to head for a certain room.

Kuroba Toichi strode purposefully past the corridors, his footsteps as silent as a mouse. He came across no one, but some do get close enough, in which case he blends in to avoid being seen. After they pass through, he'll continue on as if nothing happened.

It was prohibited to visit the nursery at night, because there's the high risk of disturbing the babies. Besides, there has been too many cases of child kidnapping here for them to not enforce the rule.

But Toichi isn't here to kidnap babies. He's here to visit his own.

It was a simple matter to fool the security cameras. Even more simpler to avoid the few people and guards roaming the halls. This is nothing compared to some highly secure buildings he has visited many times before. 'Visited' being the key word.

He turned a corner and continued walking. He just came from a visit to his wife in the nearby room. She just rolled her eyes at his sudden appearance in the window in the middle of the night and just shooed him off to the nursery, telling him to kiss their baby for her and to please start using doors like a normal person. But they both know he won't do that. He doesn't do normal.

Another turn finally brought him near the nursery. He smiled and made quick work of unlocking the door before entering, the cameras detecting not a hint of his entrance. The babies are all fast asleep, but he's careful to be extra quiet when in their presence. He knows firsthand how sensitive babies are than normal adults (courtesy of Kaito). They'll stir if he wasn't careful enough.

He walked through rows and rows of sleeping babies, trying to find the one that looked just like Chikage and remotely like him. Finally, he came across the crib near the window and stopped, his breath catching in his throat as he gazed down at the sight of his beautiful baby girl...

She was sleeping just like the other babies, thankfully not causing havoc like a certain brother of hers did when he was young. He can already tell that she's going to be the sensible one of the family.

He reached down and stroked her soft cheek, eyes softening when Kagami twitched a little bit. He watched as she yawned cutely before blinking her eyes open.

Blue eyes. Kagami stared up at him with the brightest blue eyes he's ever seen, though he knows it's too early to say that it will remain blue forever. It may darken to Chikage's indigo eye color after a few months, or it can remain like his own dark blue hue. Either way, his little girl looked perfect.

He observed as his daughter looked up at him with the most fascinated of expressions, which made him smile. While he loves Kaito very much, the little rascal that he is, his daughter completely got him wrapped around her little finger.

"Kagami."

It took a while for his daughter to look at him. Not unexpected since she doesn't yet know her name. He helped her by stroking her cheek gently until she looked.

Toichi smiled. "Kuroba Kagami. Your mother named you, you know. She hasn't quite trusted me yet after I named our eldest son 'Kaito' as a pun to the thief Kaitou KID," Here, he winked as if sharing some private joke in which, unknown to him, she caught perfectly. "Fortunately, she didn't name you after some variation of 'The Phantom Lady'. Now that would be interesting."

He could've sworn he saw a hint of a smile, but it was gone so quickly it must have been his imagination. She suddenly yawned, making Toichi chuckle silently. He smiled and gently covered her tired eyes, "Sleep well Kagami. I'll come back again in the morning."

She needed no more prompting.