Wolf Blood

Red locks whipped around my face, getting caught on the wind and sticking to my wet cheeks as I tucked my knees under my chin, huddling into a ball so the slicing cold couldn’t seep through my clothing. The rocks I sat on were cold and uncomfortable, digging painfully into my backside.

I watched as the sun rose in front of my eyes, huge rays of glittering orange, yellows and reds lighting up the world around me as the giant fiery ball seemed to rise out of a huge crevice and hang in the air over my home town. The trees behind me swayed with the wind, dancing to the sound of the rushing river below us. 

Sweet heart, we need to leave now. I heard my mother’s voice through our mind link and sighed. This was my home. But as much as I would miss the forest, I knew leaving was the best course of action. My bare feet were covered in mud from the wet dirt, making me purr like a cat as I wiggled my toes in it, enjoying the cool feeling as I ran through the forest, free running over fallen trees.

I skidded into the clearing that connected with my backyard and smiled sadly at my house, knowing I wouldn't see it again. I headed to the porch and washed my feet off with a hose, before walking into the house. 

"Mum, I'm back. I'm just going to grab a shower real quick." I yelled out to here, as I walked down the short hall to the bathroom. She yelled an okay back, but it was mixed with the sound of tape being put on last minute boxes. 

When I left the steamy cube, I wrapped myself in a towel and slipped into my room that was across the hall. I dressed in clothes I had left out last night, navy skinny jeans and my OBEY hoodie, before slipping my feet into some grey vans. I threw my long red hair into a messy bun and observed the bare room that used to be mine. A cough behind me made me turn around and I saw dad smiling at me, a tinge of sadness in his eyes as he looked around the room too. 

"Ready Red?" I nodded, and followed him out to the car.

"It's a new beginning, it'll be great. I've met the new alpha, and he seems like a really nice guy, and he’s got kids your age, Nadia." I just nodded as we pulled away from home. The tiny two bedroom house was now a part of the past and I sighed, as it was swallowed up into the trees. 

The drive to our new town was just over 2 hours, and by the end of it, my wolf and I were itching to run. We hated sitting still for too long. Half way through the drive, I had tried to convince dad to let me run alongside the car, but he had shook his head, saying there was too many humans in the area. I'd huffed and put my iPod back into my ears, and leaned back into the leather seats and tried to have a nap.  

It hadn't work at all, I was too restless, and even over the music I could hear mum and dad making cooing noises at each other. I blanched at it, trying to turn the music up, but my sensitive hearing still picked up the sounds. 

I began to play with the windows on our white Mercedes SUV. It was my father’s pride and joy, and I knew it wouldn't take long for him to snap and tell me to stop messing with the electrics on his poor car. Anything for him and mum to stop making those awful noises though. 

"NADIA, WILL YOU STOP. YOU ARE GOING TO BURN THE ELECTRICS OUT." My father’s face was bright red as he glared at me. Still, I celebrated the end of the public displays of affection. 

Finally we pulled into our new neighborhood. 

"Wow, this pack certainly has it all." I remarked as we drove through the gated village full of expensive looking houses. They had a Greek tinge to them, most of them having white pillars beside the doors which held up small balconies with black wrought iron fences. 

"Yes, my brother said that the Alpha handles business all over the world and is able to provide the families that chose to live in the community with homes, the only thing we pay for is utilities." I nodded along, it was pretty amazing that an Alpha would do all this for his pack, and I already felt respect for him.