Chapter 7

"My heart goes with you stars. For a friend has joined you this day." Little Ear mewed. Sage Pelt was moaning with grief as Night Wing was pressed close to her in comfort as well as Robin Heart who was on her other side. They had told their campmates about their battle with the rogue cats in the depths of the pine forest. Violet Leaf was getting her wound treated by Rue. "That kittypet really got you good." She meowed.
"You should have seen Wolf Fur though. He did this move where he practically flew off a tree like a swooping owl and tackled her." The black and ginger she-cat meowed.
Rue's eyes widened in surprise. "Wow!" She meowed.
"Those rogues will pay for this." Sage Pelt growled. Night Wing touched his black tail to her shoulder.
Little Ear looked at the gray she-cat. "Have patience. Those cats might be waiting for us still."
"Let them come. We'll be battle hardened and ready!" Thresh declared, sliding out his claws. Sage Pelt wailed in grief.
"Those cats were only a nuisance," The group leader meowed when the cats fell silent. "We have bigger threats on our tails. This was only a battle that has been put off for a while." He met Piegon Talon's gaze. The lilac tabby simply blinked at him. The wolf pack in the forest was still a problem. As if enemy cats weren't bad enough.
"We sure showed them! They'll think twice before trying again!" Hawthorn meowed spiritedly.
"Do you hear Thistle Tail? We did it for you.." Sage Pelt mewed staring up at the starry sky. Wolf Fur stared up as well. I wonder if you saw mom and dad. He thought to himself. "We're not just going to sit here like hatchlings in a nest and do nothing." Gray Sky meowed. "But what about the wolves?" Flick butted in. "Oh great ancestors help us all! First wolves now rogues!" Dove's Pelt wailed.
"That Pinecone looked pretty nasty." Owl mewed to Shade. Viper Strike growled in rage. "Hang on. That move Wolf Fur did. Can he do it again?" Running Fern asked. "Violet Leaf said you did some sort of.. thing."
"Yeah, she described it someway, Violet Leaf, what did it look like again?" Rue mewed curiously to the black and ginger she-cat. Viper Strike rolled her eyes.
"I can demonstrate it." The black and white tom looked up at a tree by the camp. He trotted over to it then climbed. Leaping down, he pushed off the other with his backlegs and landed on the ground.
"I wanna try!" Hawk's Cry squealed rushing over to Wolf Fur.
"Me too!" Stone Frost bounded behind him. "That was brilliant!" Gasped Little Ear. Viper Strike was dumb founded. He's jumping off a tree! She felt like sinking her-
"Hey." Ginger Foot was suddenly beside her. "Hi.." the green eyed she-cat rumbled. The white and ginger cat tipped her head to one side. "What's wrong?" He mewed concerned. "He's jumping off of a tree." Was her only response. Wolf Fur looked like he was basking in his campmates fawning over him, his chest puffed out.
"Why does he assume he's the smartest in the camp?" Viper Strike asked Ginger Foot. He simply blinked in reply. "Stars above knows." He mewed honestly.
"He's jumping. Off. A. Tree." She growled. The white and ginger tom licked her ear. "Hey, you can catch snakes. I'd like to see Wolf Fur be as fast as you are with a snake." He meowed. But Viper Strike shook her head. "It's not that. It's my Clanmates just look at them."
Most of the cats were crowded around Wolf Fur, while some went with Little Ear, possibly discussing battle strategies.
"He jumped of a tree and they thinks he's some kinda starry cat from above." She mewed.
Be patient my daughter. Remember, keep your hopes close to your chest. Whispered Misty Tail inside her head. Viper strike took a deep breath.

The following day, Little Ear instructed Gray Sky to lead a patrol into their territory. "Smell anything?" Gray Sky meowed to the small patrol. Moth Foot drew her way over from a set of wolf tracks. "All I'm getting is wolf stench." She replied, wrinkling her nose.
"At least it's not rogues." Light Mist growled. Night Wing stared off into the distance. "Maybe the Twolegs are capturing them as usual."
"But we haven't been hearing their boomsticks," Grass Shadow joined in.
A gasp rang out. "Wolf!"