Chapter 11

Viper Strike walked around to find herself in a bright clearing, stripped of the cold harsh snows. This wasn't the forest at all. Suddenly, she realized that she was dreaming. But what was this place?
"Viper Strike." Misty Tail appeared in front of her. The ginger tabby she-cat gasped in surprise. She blinked and straightened up in front of her mother, wanting to look decent. "Mother. What's going on? What is this place?" She asked in wonder and amazement at the same time. The forest was bright and warm. "Look my daughter." The gray she-cat mewed. Suddenly, Viper Strike saw cats. They all looked different. A pure white tom, then a small she-cat. Grass Shadow was there as well. Wait, so was Ginger Foot. "What is this..?" Viper Strike murmured. Looking around, she saw two tiny shapes bounding after each other the frisking around might ginger paws. Viper Strike's jaw was wide open. She saw herself!
"Mother.. what's going on? What even is this?" She whirled around to meet her mother's gaze. "You are the viper." Misty Tail meowed as suddenly many voices joined her. "In due time you will know this." Her mother and the voices continued. Viper Strike woke up with a start. She looked to see Wolf Fur rousing from sleep. "Is it sunlight already..?" He asked sleepily. "I guess it is." His sister's response was short as she rose to her paws and exited the den only to be met by a chill.
"Great stars above in the name of Stoneteller it's freezing!" Came Silver Leaf's surprised mew.
"Well it is leaf-bare thick-ears." Light Mist growled grumpily.
Leaping Breeze stretched in the snow, flexing her claws as she came out of the den first. Nettle reluctantly peered outside the den. "So.. what do we do?" She asked. Grass Shadow stood beside her. "Toady we go on patrols." She replied, her tone serious.
"Maybe we can claw some nasty-mangey rogues for our nests." Shade growled, examining his claws. Gray Sky stepped beside him. "We're rogues as well," he meowed then walked away towards the prey heap. "Besides, all this scrapping is bothersome."
"Still." The fluffy brown tom mewed casually trotting over to a spot to groom himself. "It killed my brother." Sage Pelt's bitter mew was tired and filled with pain.
"He walks with our ancestors now Sage Pelt," Dapple Spots tried to rest his tail on her shoulder but she flung herself back with a hiss. "It's not enough! If I had fought harder like he always told me to.." she choked back an agonizing wail.
"He knows you fought. Braver than any of us even. He's in our hearts as well as yours Sage Pelt." Little Ear drew near her. The she-cat sighed. "You're right." She meowed. Wolf Fur looked at his sister. "Can I..? Can I talk to you?" He muttered quietly. Hawthorn entered the camp with a bird between her jaws. She plopped it down on the prey heap and walked past the two young cats. "Morning Wolf Fur, morning Viper Strike." She greeted as she walked, flicking her tail. The tom flicked his tail back as his sister lead him to a small mound of snow. "So.. I want to ask Violet Leaf to be my mate. But I don't know how to go about it. I mean, I can't just ask. She's too amazing! As amazing as rabbit when you first catch it." Her brother sighed happily, a smile on his face, his mind clearly wandering. The ginger tabby she-cat simply twitched her tail in response to her brother's daydreaming of the black and ginger she-cat. "Are you done yet?" She asked humorously. Wolf Fur jolted like a cat being woken from sleep and straightened up. "Ah! Here she comes!" He whispered. Viper Strike purred in amusement. Violet Leaf padded over to him. "Hi Wolf Fur. I was playing with the kits earlier:" she told him. The black and white tom nodded. "That's great!" He purred. The black and ginger she-cat curled her tail. "So what have you been doing?" She asked him. "Oh just you know.. just hunting and stuff." He meowed.
Viper Strike stood up. "I'll leave you two." She meowed a mischervious gleam in her eyes as she walked away.