Chapter 14: Eternity is a Moment With You (Part 1)

The pale light of the early day timidly sneaked in through the Haveli's windows, as if loath to disturb the two figures collapsed in rest. Aaryan's eyes opened first, coming awake to the sensation of dull pain, muscles screaming in protest and a slightly pounding, but cogent, head. Memories crowded through him, overwhelming him with a mind numbing fear of Siya being killed or taken, but others took over, hazy but contradictorily crystallised with diamond- like clarity. He recalled parts of the frenzied ride home, Siya bending over him, her soothing hands and her lilting voice, full of suffering and fear. She had anchored him to life, and allowed him sublime peace on feeling the hot rush of tears on his scourged back, and the touch of her lips, which had managed to make him feel entirely renewed. He shut his eyes again, savouring the words of absolution she had spoken; they had been a benediction, a blessing and bliss he had not believed could exist. He looked over at her; bent over in exhausted slumber, as if unable to stay on guard anymore. She had tended to him with a care and devotion that he had no right to expect, but which he received as a literal consecration.

Aaryan yearned to lean over and hold her, to tell her how he felt and voice his gratitude, no matter how inadequate it would be. But he acknowledged he wanted so much more. Therein lay the problem. She must not know how his emotions were raging out of control. She would be appalled, frightened, or even worse, repulsed, especially as what could this runaway outlaw offer her? She could only see his actions as a dishonourable advance and Aaryan knew that he could never think of her except with wonderment and respect. He eased away from the bloodstained covers, ensuring he made no sound, despite the shafts of pain that ran through his battered body as he gingerly stood. He had to see Veer, but before that he determined to wash away the vestiges of the ravages of battle more thoroughly than his benevolent carer had managed.

When Siya abruptly surfaced from her restless stupor dominated by images of a wounded and dying Aaryan, she found him gone. She started to rush towards the front door, but hearing sounds upstairs, her feet carried her to the open door of his chamber. She careened straight in, all thoughts of knocking absent and came to a rather uncoordinated stop. She found him looking relatively refreshed, with slightly damp hair and holding a clean tunic he must have been about to put on. He looked up in surprise as she ran up to him, unmindful of anything but him and the angry and red gash she had stitched up so assiduously.

"Aaryan! Are you allright? Why did you get up? You are badly hurt. Let me look at that wound. I need to bandage it."

She laid her hand lightly on his arm, examining the effects of yesterday's bloodbath, biting her lip in distress. Suddenly, it struck her that she was far too close to him. He was bare chested and all to fresh smelling and vital despite his injuries. She stilled, her eyes clashing with his, as he gazed at her with an expression so deep, that her breath hitched in her chest and she almost forgot to breathe. Aaryan let the clean upper robe fall to the bed at his side. He saw a rose tint spread over her face. She was still in her clothes from yesterday, bloodstained and dusty, her face and neck smudged, and with shadows under her eyes. She had never looked lovelier to him. As his eyes roved her face, his glance sharpened on the livid bruise, already purpling, on her fine cheekbone, and the slight cut on her lips. Murderous rage threatened him, and he saw her eyes widen in alarm, not understanding his reflex to her being hurt. Without thinking, he cupped her face with one hand to gently raise her chin. Ignoring her stunned surprise, he very softly touched just under the tender spot, and then near her lip, her slight wince making him furiously protective.

"I want to kill those bastards all over again." His voice was his usual steady rumble, but the look in his eyes was electrifying.

Siya swallowed, unable to tear her eyes from his. As if he realised what he was doing, he took his hand from her face, and to her shock she missed that warm touch.