/ i. /

Enmity

THE CRISP COOL AIR BUFFETED
Foxsong's pelt. He cautiously weaved between and under bushes he trekked through the EbonyClan forest. It was Leafbare in the Clans, but EbonyClan was doing well.... considering the conditions of the other Clans. 

Internally, that is. Suspicions were rising over EbonyClan's success. 

Foxsong jogged into camp, the raven he caught swinging in his jaws. It was a scrawny catch, but it would feed the Clan well. Swiftstar was on top of the Mossy Stump, addressing the Clan. They appeared to be angry. 

Foxsong hurridly sneaked in the back and sat down in an open area. 

"-so I believe we must do something about such issue." 

Mousedung, I missed the meeting!

Foxsong turned to Smalltail, an elder sitting near him, and quietly whispered, "what's going on?" 

"Discussing BrookClan," He replied. 

Foxsong bit his bottom lip and winced. 

Oh no. 

Cats began talking amongst themselves, and Foxsong overhead Creekpaw meow to his friends, "why don't we just spy on the dumb fools. Too stupid scorning the other Clans, we'll be able to get away with it easily." 

Puddlepaw nodded, "Yeah, and we're small and blend in, we'd be the best ones for the job." 

The two apprentices sat in the back with a small clutter of the older kits - Gorsekit and Newtkit - who were almost ready to be apprenticed. 

"Yeah, and once we're apprentices, we can join the spy patrol and find out what they're up to." 

"We'd be the perfect ones for the job." 

Foxsong swiveled his ears to listen as a warrior spoke up to Swiftstar. Foxsong recognized the warrior as Hawkpelt. 

"Make accusations back, it's simple," he hissed. 

His "minion", Copperbranch, nodded and curled his lip in anger. 

"Yeah, why do they know so much about us anyway? Accuse them of being the ones that are invading our territory." 

Swiftstar winced, "Yeah, but how many cats will die in the battle started by such?" 

"That's when you mention that they should know how strong we are - use that accusation to your advantage to further elaborate on your previous accusation, the other Clans will buy it in no time." Copperbranch meowed bluntly. 

"But we don't want to start a war," somecat spoke up. 

"And we're not going to. Any other ideas?" 

Foxsong saw Gorsekit nudge Creekpaw from his peripheral. 

Don't. You. Dare.

"Why don't we spy o-" 

Pricklestripe snorted, cutting the apprentice off and giving Swiftstar the perfect time to stop the apprentice. 

"No, that's a preposterous idea that'll get us all killed." 

"We're small, and we're good hunters. We can stalk through the territory without being seen and spy on them!" 

"Creekpaw, I said no." 

"But-"

"No." Swiftstar angrily meowed, he turned to Hawkpelt. 

"We'll go with your idea. For now, please work on teaching your apprentice some manners and maybe give him a brain if you have some spare time," Swiftstar spat. A few warriors snorted in agreement. 

"If they are to be foolish and retaliate, so be it. We start a war, but we won't be alone, I'm sure. For now, extra patrol on the BrookClan border, and two cats on guard at all times. Berryfrost has my permission to organize those. Let's get them paranoid."

Swiftstar's losing his mind, I swear. Start a war! No way, cats are going to die. 

Berryfrost organized a mid-day patrol, and then some guards. She decided four switch-outs would be fine. Foxsong was chosen to guard the patrol on the moonhigh-to-dawn shift with Haycoat. He'd switch out with Littleblaze and Aldercreek when he was done. 

It's gonna be a long night.