Chapter One

"Stop. You know you cannot get attached."
"I know, but he is like none other..."
"I thought you were against love."
"I am, but this... this is more than just love."
"Do you really think that?"
"Yes."
"But that is what you said the last time-"
"I know what I said."
"I don't want you to get hurt."
"I know."
"Then why take this path? There are so many risks."
"It's a risk I'm willing to take, and there is nothing you can say or do that will prevent me from doing otherwise."

Palace of Asgard

The halls of the throne room grew silent as Loki sat in the golden throne that he now claimed to be his. Now, there was no Thor, and most importantly, no Odin. He had infinite freedom void of Odin's control, and it felt lovely. Sitting back with his legs outstretched and his right hand twirling his scepter, Loki took a deep, prolonged exhale, sighing with content at the thought of his achievements. With the entirety of Yggdrasil at his feet and the nine realms at ease, he could finally sit back and do what was naturally his birthright- to rule the people as a simple, benevolent god. Or so he thought.

Meanwhile, a woman aimlessly wandered the streets of New York, pondering in her mind the tasks set before her. She had just previously spoken with a strange man that happened to notice her on the corner, and with his scraggly and mangled appearance, as well as the fact that he held a doomsday sign, she did not trust him at first. However, upon realizing by the gleam of his golden eye and his mannerisms and the way he spoke, she knew exactly who she was talking to.
        "Odin," She had muttered, and she was greeted with a slight nod. But, why was this great leader not on his throne?
        "I must ask a favor of you, child." Odin reached into his black jacket pocket, one that was torn in multiple places. "You need to secure the throne of Asgard. I know of my son Loki's deceptions, and he has done exactly what I prophesied would happen." He then pulled out a ring. It was beautifully crafted, made of a golden alloy and a setting of an unknown sacred gemstone that appeared to be milky white, yet seemed to contain specks of the universe because of its magnificent light. "Guard this well. This proves your power given to you by my blessing, and gives you authority throughout the realm."
    She was taken aback by all of this. She had not been involved in something such as this for a long time.
   "What am I to possibly do?" She looked confused as the Allfather silently pressed the ring to his lips and muttered something in Norse before gently slipping it onto her finger.
   Odin looked up. "You are to travel by way of the Bifrost to Heimdall, where he will grant you with further instruction. For now, however, you must focus on one thing, and one thing only: to get Loki off of the throne. I will leave this to your own judgment, but by this ring, I grant you permission to do whatever is necessary."
   She took a deep breath. After a slight moment of thought, she spoke. "I will not let you down, my king." After bowing slightly so as to not draw too much attention, she started to walk off.
    "Make haste, Artemis," Odin called after her. "The end is near."