Chapter 15

Taylor's POV

Calvin's house was gorgeous. It was further inland out near Black Mountain State Park. The house was a little secluded from the nearest neighbors – which I admit made me a little nervous, thanks to Karlie's warning about going to the home of a stranger. Technically, that's pretty much what Calvin was, but I hadn't gotten any weird vibes from him.

Then again, who thought Charles Manson was a weirdo?

I took minimal comfort in knowing I was 140 miles away from Spahn Ranch. I checked.

A big Dodge 3500 pickup truck was parked in the driveway, custom painted with a corporate logo on the side panels of the truck. Herveaux & Sons Construction. I parked behind the truck and sent Karlie a text like I promised I would to let her know I had arrived at Calvin's before I carefully got out of the SUV. I had offered to bring dessert or drinks or something but Calvin wouldn't hear of it.

My etiquette teacher at boarding school would have been horrified if I showed up empty handed so I stopped anyway for a case of beer that Kendall had insisted I try. It was pretty good, as far as beers went. What guy didn't like beer? Even if it was fancy chick beer?

I rang the bell and waited for Calvin to answer the front door. There was a nice little sitting area right out front with an outdoor fireplace that looked like it would be a cozy spot to sit. It was also nice and private, which was good if he wasn't a serial killer. If he was a serial killer my body might never be found.

The door swung open and there was Calvin with all her muscles and perfect teeth.

"Hi," I smiled back at her. "I know you said not to bring anything but you know us southern girls..."

"Beer. The way to any redneck's heart," he laughed as he took the case from me. "Come in."

"Thanks." I stepped inside when he moved back to let me in.

His house was bright and airy, which I liked.

"You have a beautiful house," I told him.

The showing I'd gone to the other day was for exactly the kind of house I was looking for. I'd put in an offer on the place before I left. The floors were glossy hardwood and looked like that intentionally distressed cedarwood I saw on those home improvement shows that people paid out their rear end for. The windows were all big and let in lots of natural light. Everything was neutral colors so I wondered if the house was staged to sell or if maybe Calvin had just recently moved in to the place.

"Thank you, I haven't been here long," he said, leading me toward the kitchen.

"I just put in an offer on a place the other day," I told him. "I haven't heard back from my realtor yet. I think the sellers are trying to play hardball."

"I'm sure you'll get it," he smiled, showing me his pearly whites. When we walked into the kitchen I noticed enough Chinese food on the counter to feed a small army. "I uh... I didn't know what you liked so I ordered one of everything..."

"Uh yeah, I see that," I laughed. He was serious. "I guess the ginger beer was a good choice then, huh?"

"It follows the trend. I hope you like Chinese, I didn't even think to ask," he chuckled.

"I do. The delivery guy in New York got to know me by name. I think he even knew my birthday," I laughed. It was a little ridiculous, if I was being honest.

"That's pretty sad," he laughed with me. "I take it you go against the southern grain and don't cook?"

I was pretty sure he knew who my family was. The Swift name was a common one around the south.