(5) colors of the able-minded

Wake up.

It's not real.

Wake up.

No.

"Wake up!" Mark shouts. The birds outside sing a pleasant tune as a beam of light pours through the open window.

"Mark?" I croak tiredly. His eyes are wide and his eyebrows are scrunched up, causing lines to form on his forehead.

"Good morning, (Y/N)," he calms down a bit when he realises you're awake. I force a small grin onto my face at an attempt to discard the thoughts of my dream.

"Good morning, Mark," I reply as I scruff his messy, matted hair. He stares at me for a moment before suddenly shuffling away from me, out of sight. I'm about to go see what he's up to, but I'm suddenly mesmerised once more by the comforting feeling of my bed. Moving my arms back down to my side, I let my limbs absorb the texture of the bedsheets, sinking into the feeling. As I move my arms across the bed, I notice that the space next to me is warm. I wonder if Mark was sleeping with me last night.

"Goddammit, (Y/N)," my companion mutters. "Why are you so hard to wake up?!"

"I'm awake, sorry. Just took a power nap," I reply groggily. Rubbing my eyes, I blink and notice that there's a vacant TV tray at my bedside. I'm too tired to ask what it's there for, so instead I lay back in my pillow and let him finish whatever he's doing. He exits the room once more.

Within the next moment, Mark reappears while balancing three plates on his body and a coffee cup in his hand.

"For you, madamé," he gently places the plate and mug on the tray and smirks.

"Thanks, but uhm... What's all this for?" I couldn't think of one good reason why I deserved this special treat.

"Many reasons, (Y/N). One of them is that I lo-"

He hacks in the middle of his sentence. Even his cough sounds Italian, at this point.

"Ahem.. Uhm... AgearmusthavegottenstuckbutwhatIMEANT to say was, I owe you big time for adopting me. You've been so kind, so I...thought I should repay the favor," he finally spits it out with a lot of pausing in between. I feel my heart melt in my chest.

"Doofus. You're the one to thank," I stick my tongue out at Mark. He smiles thoughtfully before taking a seat on my bedside. t in silence as he lays back on my legs, staring up at the bland, white ceiling.

The room itself is as boring as the walls; the only items that fill the empty space in the room are a blue-ish-grey sofa, an old-fashioned wooden coffee table in front of the sofa, and a miniature nightstand painted white beside the sheet-less bed. Even I'm bland. The only thing that has color here is Mark; he's so vibrant.

I haven't said that about someone since Phoebe was here.