CHAPTER 10

A/N:
Hey!!!
I thought I’d make this chapter to give you a little insight on Tiana’s past. It’s not very long, so I decided to give you a double update! These are just the basics of her past but more stuff will be revealed as the story progresses. Hope you enjoy!

*9 YEARS AGO*
“Tiana, come and meet your new baby brother,” Axel Sazuki said to the 4-year-old girl who stood a few feet away, shyly peeking into the hospital room. She took a cautious step into the room, eyeing the small infant that rested in her mother’s arms.

Her mother and father smiled fondly as the baby let out giggle when he saw Tiana. She extended her small index finger towards the baby, which he wrapped his tiny hand around.

“He likes you,” her mother smiled.

Tiana nodded slightly, a small smile on her own lips as she kept her gaze locked on her new baby brother.

“Daddy, what’s his name?” the young girl asked.

“His name is Jax.”

°°°

*5 YEARS AGO*

“You can’t keep doing this, Axel! We have two children we need to take care of but you keep spending our money on alcohol!” Caren yelled at her husband, clutching a whiskey bottle in her hand which she had snatched from the man.

“And who brings that money into the house, huh?! I have every right to spend it as I please!” Axel retaliated, his words coming out a bit sluggish since he had a large amount to drink.

An 8-year-old Tiana sat with her back against her closed bedroom door, covering her ears as the tears streamed down her face.

Why are mommy and daddy yelling?

“Can’t you think of anyone except yourself for once…?!” Her mother’s yelling was interrupted when a loud slap rung throughout the house…then everything went quiet.

Tiana uncovered her ears and peered at the door she still rested upon. She gulped down the lump in her throat and slowly rose from the floor, shakily reaching for her doorknob. She slowly opened her door which gave out a high-pitched creek. 

Her entire body was trembling as she walked carefully down the stairs. She heard a loud crash and the sound of glass breaking, mixed with a few screams from her mother and a few yells from her father.

Soft sobs escaped her lips but she placed her hand over her mouth to suppress them as she reached the bottom of the stairs. Making sure not to be seen, she peered around the corner to get a few of the living room.

More tears slipped out from her wide, green eyes as she saw the scene that caused her body to tremble even more. Her mother laid in shards of glass from the broken glass table, her father towering above her. He took another swig of whiskey before wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

“Look what you made me do,” he sneered at the woman before proceeding to throw the bottle a few inches away from her head. Caren quickly covered her head with her arms, letting out a small whimper. Without another word, Axel turned and stormed out the front door, slamming it shut behind him.

More sobs racked the small girl’s body as she slowly started to walk backwards up the stairs, her hand still placed over her mouth.

Mommy…daddy…why?

“Tina?” Tiana heard a small voice whimper from the top of the stairs, the small boy not being able to pronounce his sister’s name properly.

She whipped around to see Jax trembling, the tears also clear in his eyes. Quickly running up the stairs, she wrapped her arms around her brother, both of them sobbing as they tried to seek comfort in each other.

°°°

*2 YEARS AGO*

“Tiana, is everything alright at home?” Tiana’s teacher, Miss Evans, asked the girl. Tiana sat in a chair in front of the teacher’s desk, discreetly pulling her long sleeves further down her arms.

“Yes, we’re a happy family,” Tiana said, forcing a wide smile.

“You know you can trust me, right? You don’t have to lie to me,” Miss Evans reassured, observing Tiana carefully.
Tiana smile faltered slightly but she continued the façade. “I’m not lying, Miss Evans. My brother and I are happy.”

The teacher furrowed her eyebrows, the sorrow for the girl shining clear in her eyes. She could see that this 11-year-old was burdening something that someone her age shouldn’t need to worry about.

“Very well,” she sighed. “You may go.”

Tiana stood from her chair and walked out of the classroom then proceeding to walk out of the school that was devoid of students, since the last bell had gone a while ago. She couldn’t hold her smile again, so she let a few tears flow down her cheeks and fall to the floor.

She was miserable. But she promised herself she would endure in order to protect Jax. He was safe from the monster that lived in their house and that was all that mattered.

Most kids her age were afraid of the monsters in their closets or under their bed. Not Tiana, though. For her, it was much worse. She was afraid of the monster that slept down the hall. This monster hurts her, makes sure she suffers. The blue and black bruises were proof of that.

“Mommy!”

She always screamed for her mother when the pain became unbearable but her mother never came to rescue her. She wasn’t who she thought her mother had been. Tiana couldn’t look at the world the same way anymore.

She only saw monsters who took on the appearance of humans. This was her world now but she would make sure Jax is never exposed to it.