CHAPTER 11

“Hurry up, Runo! I’m starving!”

“Yeah, a little service would be nice!”

“Step on it, Runo!” Three male customers sat at the counter, staring dreamily at Alice who stood in front of them while relentlessly bossing Runo around.

“Hold your horses!” Runo yelled at them, running out from the kitchen with a tray in hand, letting out a small giggle. That is, until she saw that all three’s attention was on Alice and not her.

Tiana had to bite down on her lower lip to suppress the laughter that threatened to escape as she watched Runo angrily march across the room. She sat at a table next to Dan, while Marucho sat across from them.

“Gee whiz, I never imagined I’d see Runo jealous of anyone,” Marucho said as Runo walked by them.

“Is it really that big of a shock?” Tiana laughed, taking a sip of her coffee.

“Keep it down, guys. Do you really want to get involved in a cat fight?” Dan warned the two, causing Tiana to let out another laugh.

This was priceless!

“Runo, a little help, please?” Alice asked, paying no mind to the boys who were still staring at her with stars in their eyes.

“I can’t believe this!” Runo fumed, turning to the others. “Tiana, Marucho, go get some coffee. Alice is completely useless!”

“But I’m on my break!” Tiana protested but was quickly silenced when she saw the death glare Runo was sending her. “Yeah, sure…We’ll go get coffee. Let’s go get coffee, Marucho,” she fumbled, grabbing Marucho’s arm and dragging him to the storeroom.

“Tiana, you’re sort of hurting me,” Marucho said. Tiana quickly let go and apologized with a sheepish smile on her face.

“Now, where’s the coffee?” Tiana clapped her hands together, observing the room until she spotted a large stack of burlap sacks. “Bingo! Marucho, come and help me with this.”

They walked over to the stack and started to pull on one of the bags until it finally came out. Unfortunately, the tower of bags started to sway unstably until the point where it toppled over and fell on the two, their screams muffled by the burlap sacks.

“Why does this always happen to me?” Marucho whined, causing Tiana to burst into a fit of laughter.

“You and me both, Marucho.”

°°°

“WE’RE NOT WORTHY!” The three friends shrieked under Dan’s harsh glare. He knew about Shun and to say that he was pissed would be a huge understatement.

“I know this doesn’t look good, Dan,” Marucho stepped forward. “But we were going to tell you. Honest! It’s just that, we need Shun on our side to beat that creep, Masquerade. And after all that, Shun just told us to get lost.”

“Might I interject…” Preyas started but was interrupted.

“Stay out of this!” Tigrerra and Nemr yelled at him.

“You don’t have to tell me twice!” Preyas backed off.

“We’re so sorry, Dan,” Marucho apologized.

“Well, Daniel?” Drago asked his partner but Dan didn’t say anything as he starred down at the table.

“Would you quit being so stubborn, Dan!” Tiana yelled at him but got no response.

“Forget it, Tiana. He’s just being a big baby.” Runo said.

“You’re the baby!” Dan retaliated, turning to face Runo.