CHAPTER 12

“Runo, why’d you have to drag me along with you? Don’t you know that a girl needs her beauty sleep?!” Tiana whined as she walked a few paces behind Runo, slouching as the two walked through the store.

“Oh, please! If I hadn’t woken you up then you would’ve slept ‘till noon!” Runo exclaimed slowing down a bit until Tiana caught up with her. “Now quit complaining. My parents gave us a long list to go through!”

Tiana looked at the strip of paper in Runo’s hand, groaning when she saw the number of supplies they had to get. “Why does the universe hate me?!” Tiana exclaimed to no one in particular.

“Would you stop being so overdramatic! Now come on!” Runo grabbed Tiana’s arm and started to drag her further into the store.

°°°

“…and coffee, check! I think that’s everything!” Runo cheered happily, crossing off the last item on the list with a pen.

“You think?!” Tiana yelled, almost toppling over from the number of bags she was carrying, while Runo only carried two. “Tell me, why did we need coffee if a mountain of coffee bags almost flattened Marucho and I a while ago?”

“We ran out,” Runo said simply while lifting her shoulders.

“How? We barely get any costumers?”

“Why you little…!”

“Hold that thought for a sec,” Tiana raised her index finger to silence Runo when her BakuPod started beeping with an incoming call. She placed all the bags on the floor, opening the small device to answer, when a flustered Marucho popped onto the small screen. “Hey, what’s up, Marucho?”

“Hey, Tiana. Is Runo with you?” Marucho asked.

“Yeah, she’s the one treating me like a packing mule. Why? Did something happen?”

“Could the two of you please come to my house. There’s…um…something Alice has to tell you.”

“Alice?” Runo asked, looking at Marucho from over Tiana’s shoulder. ”What does she have to do with this?”

“Just please, come to my house…” With that, Marucho cut the line, preventing the girls from asking any more questions. The two friends looked at each other confused.

“What was that all about?” Runo asked.

“Guess we’d better go find out…”

°°°

“Wah?” Runo gawked at Alice.

“Really, Michael is your grandfather?” Dan asked in disbelief.

“Whoa, no way!” Julie exclaimed from the giant screen.

Tiana and Runo had made their way over to Marucho's house, only to find that Dan and Alice were already there, with Julie and Shun on Marucho’s jumbo screen.

Tiana could not believe what Alice had told them. She wasn’t angry. Actually, she felt sympathy towards her friend since it must’ve been so hard for her to tell them.

“Yes, that day…” Alice began to explain. “That day when the Bakugan and all the cards appeared…that was when my grandfather disappeared. Then one day, about six months later, he suddenly walked through the door.

“My grandfather saw my Bakugan card. He seemed very surprised. The strange thing is, that day when Dan met Drago, my grandfather disappeared again. And I haven’t seen or heard a thing from him since.”

“You kept that a secret from us?” Dan asked gently as he took a step towards Alice who sat in Marucho’s chair. “Thanks for telling us, Alice. Oh man, that must’ve been hard.”