Chapter 2

Chapter 2

After the incident I walked home alone since Jeremy was acting strange and Justin was the last person I wanted to spend time with. I was about a few blocks away from my house when I heard someone call out my name from far behind me. I turned around and was surprised to find that it was Jeremy in his car. I stopped and waited for him to pull up beside me when I opened my mouth to question him.

"Jeremy what are you doing?" I asked peering in through his opened window.

He sighed heavily before he spoke, "You shouldn't have to walk home. Come on, I'll drive you for the rest of the way," he offered meeting my eyes.

I smiled and shook my head, "You don't have to drive me Jeremy, it's okay," I responded. He stayed silent and at that moment I knew that this was more than just a car ride and changed my answer. "You know what? I can't refuse a free car ride," I told him walking around the hood of his car and slipping into the passenger's seat.

He glanced at me once I shut the door,  "You know if you're mad at me, you don't have to take the ride," he said quietly, "I'm not not going to force you to talk to me."

I turned my head to him, "Why would I be mad at you?" I paused, "plus I'm already in the car," I pointed out.

"Because I was acting a little messed up back at the shop, especially toward Justin," Jeremy answered turning his eyes to the steering wheel, "I didn't know there was something going on between you guys and was just surprised."

I nearly choked on my spit and coughed loudly, "There is nothing going on between us."

Jeremy raised an eyebrow and gave me a doubtful look, "but the whole thing with the ice cream."

"Justin is weird sometimes and does things. Trust me there is nothing going on Jeremy," I assured him. Justin and me? As a couple? Now that was crazy talk.

"Okay," Jeremy responded looking somewhat relieved, "I should probably get you home now," he said. We drove for a couple of minutes with quiet music playing in the background. As we were nearing toward my house I decided to ask him something that had been on my mind.

"Jeremy?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did you look so upset when Justin did that to me?"

"Uh...it's just...it was just awkward," he replied stumbling over his words.

"Do you like him?" I asked holding my breath. If Jeremy liked Justin everything would change and I didn't think I was ready for that.

"No!" Jeremy responded swerving, "I can't believe you just asked me that!"

"Whoa, hold your horses Jeremy!"

Jeremy pulled up to my driveway and looked at me hard, "Casey, it was awkward, that's all trust me."

I nodded and let out a breath of air,"Okay then."

We stayed silent for a couple of moments just staring out the windshield.

"So..." Jeremy began glancing at me.

"Do you want to come over tomorrow?" I blurted out.

"Yeah, I do."

The next morning I got up early because I couldn't sleep and took a long walk to Wal-mart. It was much warmer than I expected and I was burning up in my jeans and long sleeve shirt. It was truly the most uncomfortable experience of my life. When I finally got to Wal-mart I was surprised to find the parking lot packed at only nine in the morning, maybe I was missing something.