Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Jeremy is a jackass sometimes," Justin said, leading me into his kitchen. It was the day after the hiking trip and Justin invited me over to have fun and get my thoughts off of things for a while. "Do you know what we do to those kinds of people Casey?" he asked grinning.

"Not really," I replied as he pulled out eggs and sticks of butter from the fridge.

"Of course you don't. So besides the obvious answer which is murder, the second way is by staying away from them," he informed, "I cannot stress this enough, what is the point of hanging out with someone who makes you unhappy?"

"So you're saying I should stay away from Jeremy?" I asked leaning against the counter.

"Yes, until he comes to you and apologizes. Once he apologizes then you can do whatever you want, he just needs to learn his goddamn lesson right now," Justin said handing me a large bowl. "I need you to mix the eggs, butter, and vanilla extract in here," he orders.

"Wait, what are were doing?" I asked suspiciously. I had never seen Justin cook and didn't know if it was even possible.

"We're making cookies."

"From scratch, wouldn't you rather do those ones that are already ready?" I asked, I actually liked baking but didn't understand why Justin would want to waste his time doing it the hard way. He was known for always taking the easy way.

"There's this girl named Karen who is hot and I really want to date her," Justin started, I nodded, indicating for him to continue, "apparently she gets really turned on when a guy knows how to bake. Therefore I will bake to win her heart but I need your help," Justin finished.

"Oh, wow," I said grinning and picking up and egg, "that's actually kind of sweet, but to be technical, if I'm helping you, you're not really baking. Because I'm pretty sure that you're going to make me do all the work."

"What! I'm not going to do that," Justin exclaimed handing me another bowl, "I'm going to need you to mix all the dry ingredients in here." I looked at him and he threw his hands in the air, "I'm not making you do all the work!"

"Then what are going to do?" I asked, cracking another egg.

Justin paused for a moment, "I'm going to put them in the oven and take them out."

"That's it?"

"Yes, and if you insist on me doing more, I'll mix the dry ingredients," he sighed crossing his arms.

"God, Justin," I said rolling my eyes, "you're going to learn how to bake whether you like it or not," I told him pushing the bowls across the counter to where he was standing. He looked down at the bowls before meeting my eyes with a panicked look.

"Do you want me to poison her?" he asked gesturing at them.

"Uh, Casey, I don't think we made enough," I heard Justin say behind me. I turned and my eyebrows shot up when I saw what he was doing.

"Whoa, you're making them way too big!" Justin was not making spoonful sized cookies, instead there we're five extremely large cookies, all touching each other.

"See, I can't do this, I give up," he said backing away.

"Jeez, you're optimistic, it was a simple mistake," I said more softly, "I'll fix them," I offered, walking to the cookie sheet set on the counter and carefully separating them into smaller pieces.

"Yeah, but I think I should stay back for a while before I mess anything else up," Justin said walking out into the living room. I could hear him flop onto the couch and turn on the TV. After a moment or two of flipping through channels he walked back in again.