Chapter Six - The Summonings, Part II

Oriole

I stared, wide-eyed, as the warden dragged the major that had just interrupted our conversation across the floorboards toward the chair in the corner of the room. I wasn't expecting him to demand entrance, but I hadn't anticipated the warden drugging him, either. The warden propped him up in the chair, then shot me a glare. Taken aback, I blurted, "Did I do something to give us away?" in the most level tone I could manage, tried my best to keep my posture professional, then averted my eyes from her gaze.

She sighed. "No, at least I don't think so." She walked over and sat back down. "They've just been getting more perceptive, meaning that we have to take a step forward, as well. From now on, keep your eyes open and never speak out of line, especially when in public."

"What? Does that mean I'm being watched even when I'm alone?"

"Most probably. Besides, there's something I need to show you. Follow me." She got to her feet and walked over to the door, still cracked open, and gestured for me to come along. I hurried over to her, slipped through the doorway and out onto the porch, then she locked the door behind us, leaving us in the darkness of the new night. I sighed. Because of the new moon, it was going to be a real trek through darkness to keep up with the warden. I followed her out of the yard and through the fence and I tensed, suddenly struck with the unnerving feeling of being watched. I guess I'll have to get used to this if I'm never really going to be alone, won't I?

I kept walking, saying nothing and silently hoping that we were not going anywhere super secretive. The warden led me through so many turns that I eventually lost count and the sand around me became unfamiliar and unwelcoming. What could we possibly have been doing in such an area? I thought the four quarters of Naihabi Ridge were pretty much identical, and I had memorized the whole southern area, but this was nothing like it. Everything was switched and confusing.

"Where are we going?" I asked after forever, finally unable to hold it.

"You'll find out." The warden answered absently just as we were approaching a large, warehouse-like building.

I stared at the structure, paused, then realized—the breakfast building...?

"Here..?"

The warden looked down. "Yes here. Come along, we're not there yet."

Everything fell together rather nicely, and I understood exactly where we were going. We went inside the large door as quietly as we could, then straight through the rows of long tables all the way to the far back, where she stopped. I followed suit, peered over her shoulder, then stepped forward, seeing a patch of wood on the bottom of the wall in the corner. No one would notice it if they weren't searching for it, but it was as light as day if they were. It gave me mixed feelings, as it always did, and made my back uneasy.

"You know what this is, right?"

"Of course I do."

"Right." She huffed. "Let's go."

"Wait," I held my breath, hoping she wouldn't lash out at me for stopping us when we had such a limited time for action. "I've been feeling this presence following us for a while now"—she tensed and I resisted the urge to flinch—"do you think it's still a good idea to go in?"

She stood there for a second just staring at the trapdoor, then she sighed. "I've had the same feeling, actually, and I was hoping it was just my exhaustion catching up to me." Her voice was just low enough so that I could hear her and it wouldn't echo through the empty space engulfing us, but her words sunk in. So it wasn't my imagination. We were being pursued.

Suddenly, the warden swiveled around to face the entrance which we had left open for light—a fool's mistake. She was next to me, her gaze strong and determined, and then she wasn't. I took a double, stumbling back in surprise. What?

Then there was a loud crash and a thud at the other side of the warehouse. I sprinted forward, my hair on end, and saw the warden pinning someone to the ground in the shadow. With a gasp, I rushed forward, but a jerk of the warden's head stopped me. Who is that? Why won't the warden let me forward? Why is someone pursuing us so late in the night anyway?! My mind blew up with bubbling questions that itched my tongue and tempted my hands, but I held myself back with much effort and I watched, unable to recognize anything more than their silhouettes as the warden let the figure up, their hands pinned behind their back, and she stepped out of the shadow. The figure seemed reluctant, but with a tug on the wrists, stepped out into the moonlight.

My eyes widened and I suppressed a gasp. Slim figure—almost feminine, but had just enough brawn to get around the Ridge—he was taller than me by several inches, but I recognized the youthful face, as if his light blue eyes had seen more daylight than darkness, and his light, chestnut-colored hair that went loose and scruffy around the nape of his pale neck. It was Avi.

I held my breath and stayed perfectly still, some part of me going deer and hoping if I stayed still he wouldn't see me. But it didn't work. He looked at the ground with an unreadable expression and didn't seem surprised to see me. Why would he be? He was just following us...

My brain was confused, to say the least. I eventually had to let my breath go, then it was really hard not to gasp.

"You know Itoma?" The warden judged my reaction with a raised eyebrow.

Why do I feel so paralyzed?

"Why is your face red? Are you alright?"

I can't move!

She sighed, looking back at Avi. "And why are you here?" She paused. "Oh, right. I suppose you must have overheard us earlier and just decided to tag along. Is that it?"

Avi looked as if he wanted to bury his head in the sand and never come out, but he answered reluctantly. "Yes, Master Romia."

Master Romia. Time stopped, giving my brain just enough time to combust with one question. What?

"Hm. Curiosity killed the cat, it seems." The warden unbound Avi's wrists go and let out a breath. "Well, it can't be helped. I can't say I didn't have it coming, and I suppose you were going to find out anyway, so now or never, I guess." She shrugged. "You come along with us, then."

I walked like a rag doll in the back of the trio with Avi and the warden ahead of me. I was glad they weren't focused on me because something was wrong. I couldn't breath right, I couldn't look Avi in the eyes, and I seemed so tense. What was wrong with me and what did it have to do with Avi Itoma?

We stopped in front of the trapdoor, and I noticed for the first time that the uneasy feeling of being followed had finally ceased, replaced with this much worse unrecognized feeling. This is bad. How am I supposed to be on my guard when I'm still mourning the loss of my brain?

The warden opened the trapdoor with a loud creak, but I barely noticed until a voice pulled me out of my daze. "Oriole, was it?"

It was Avi.

"Are you okay?"

Not thinking, I sputtered what first came to my head, which ended up being a sharp "I'm fine."

I instantly wanted to bury myself in poisonous crabs—which there just happened to be a large amount of at the Ridge—but I managed to keep a straight face and climb in the tunnel the trapdoor led to.

It was going to be a long night.

————— • —————

Like the content? Maybe not, but if you do, give it a vote! Comments and suggestions are welcomed, as well.