Extra: The Itoma Rebel

Yay, it finally happened! Naihabi Ridge reached 1k reads after nearly two and a half years of Wattpad publication! Yes, this is real. It's rather short, but this is just a little piece I wrote a few months ago and I figured it would be perfect for this purpose. There will be a lot more of Avi's past in the rewrite, so stay tuned! Without further ado, don't forget to vote and comment and I hope you enjoy!

————— • —————

"Alphonse!" Cried Nathalia Itoma, rocking her third-born child in one arm and attempting to calm the second one clinging on the other. "The soup's going to boil over!"

She turned frantically back to her oldest, Hannah, who was sitting in her father's chair with her arms crossed, listening to her younger brother's failing argument against her.

Finally, Nathalia sighed, defeated, and passed the infant to her son, who was still trying to cling to her arm, and she raced into the other room. The three children heard the commotion over the burnt soup through the thick walls.

The ten-year-old boy, Avi, held his baby sister with a straight face as he returned his gaze toward Hannah, who was a whole two years older than he. But he would not be afraid of her. His father had taught him not to be afraid of anyone. Not even strangers.

"Avi," Hannah pursed her lips. "I know you didn't clean that barrel like Dad told you to."

"You know full well I did!" He lowered his voice when Lillian, the infant in his arms, began to whimper. "Besides, that's not what I wanted to talk about."

Hannah rolled her eyes and Avi shifted his weight. "Yeah, you wanted to run all the way to the woods with Miguel tonight, didn't you? It's a silly plan."

"Well, what if we did it?" He whispered. "No other ten-year-old in all of Mithle has ever made it all the way to the woods."

"And why would I want to lie to Mom and Dad so you can have your sleepover with your friend?"

"Hannah," he whined. "It's not a sleepover, it's a rebellion. And I'll collect a whole handful of yellow flowers for your weaving."

She stared at him blandly and sighed. "Fine. I'll take care of Lillian and you can be a silly rebel. But make sure you bring me back those dandelions."

Avi beamed, practically jumping with joy, and lightly kissed Lillian's head to keep from whooping and catching his mother's attention. He was a rebel!