Chapter 21 - The Envelope, Please

Mel was supervising the unhandiest man in the world as he levelled the second of the three paintings, failing miserably. She would have her dad come and make sure they were level later.

Despite his inexperience, Chris wanted to do this, and it was good to see him want to do things in his own home. Part of her hoped that even though this was supposed to be a temporary move for him, he would stay. It was good for him here. He settled down. He thought things through more. And maybe, he'd want to stay and be with her.

Her heart skipped a beat thinking about that. It seemed like they were going about it all wrong. Normally, you dated before you lived together. Would she have to move out if they started a relationship? Would she have to quit? She pushed the thought away and refocused on him swearing as he rounded out a screw head.

"Do you want me to do that?" she asked sweetly for the fifth time, and he made an angry 'leave me alone' noise from his throat that made her giggle.

She was thankful they had been given some quiet time so quickly. She fully expected to have to spend time testifying and dealing with lawyers over Jet's escapade, and wasn't looking forward to it. She hadn't been to Chris's side of the upstairs yet, and he wouldn't let her. He had said repairman were coming tomorrow. The cleaners had already been and gone.

"I think we should get new carpet upstairs," she mentioned casually, thinking about the blood stains she knew were there. "Maybe a new colour? I'll ask Pearl. She'll have some good suggestions."

He made an affirmative noise this time. Good.

They had moved some shelves holding various family photos into the formal living room and it was the perfect spot to hang the paintings together. Mel hoped Alice would approve, having them out in the main house. She'd not realized the darker greens of the trees were a perfect compliment to the darker wood in the front of the house.

She'd never even considered putting them back in her room when Chris had asked her. It seemed wrong to hide them away after all they had been through.

"I think Alice would like them out here," she said casually, earning another affirmative noise from Chris.

She looked at the last painting in her hands, and examined the framing mounts. Waterproofed for a bathroom, they had a solid backing with what felt like a cushy seal when you pressed. Gillian had at least cared to take care of them properly. She noticed one of the metal prongs holding it in place was loose, and she set it on the floor face down.

"Huh. You have a set of needle nose pliers in that tool case?" she asked as she wiggled it. She could re-bend it and put it back into place easily and it would be none the worse for wear.

"Have no clue. It was in the utility closet in the mudroom. I think it was Dave's, or something," Chris mumbled, a screw in his mouth.

Mel rummaged, and found a pair. She pulled the prong out and as she was bending it, she noticed the backing popped out at the corner and wouldn't sit flush.

"What's this?" she murmured, and pried it up slightly to look underneath. She pulled out a brown business envelope, wrinkled and folded. "Hey Chris. Check this out."

Chris turned around. "What's that?"

"It was stuffed behind the backing."

Chris stepped down and took it from her. He unfolded it, and paper and photos spilled out over the carpet. They both looked down and Mel picked up one of the photos.

"Isn't that Gillian?" she asked, pointing at the photo. "Who is she with?"

Chris shook his head, perplexed. "Don't know." He picked up one of the papers, and unfolded it, eyes flitting over what looked to be an email.