Chapter 23 - Full Circle

"So you aren't moving out."

Mel rolled her eyes and looked over at her mother, having heard this particular question several times since they had made their relationship official. She half wondered if her mother was enjoying the teasing and 'I told you so' moments.

The woman was elbow deep into a pair of rubber gloves, rubbing vigorously at a corner piece on the crown moulding in the library. It was wood polishing day, and they were in their last room. Next week, they were going to start decorating for Christmas. Pearl had decided to come and spend it with them, so the house was getting the full treatment.

Her dad was already out cutting cedar and pine branches down for wreaths and garland, and Mel was anticipating making the house look just like it did when she was a child. She'd loved the fresh pine scent as she and Alice would race through the house at the family party.

She knew Alice would approve.

It was also a welcome distraction from the trial and ongoing saga of Jet and Gillian's disgrace. Mel was happy it was almost over. It had been hard on Chris, and had dredged up some big issues for him. Now though, instead of bottling it up and being an asshole, he would talk to her about it over wine, or when they were tucked into bed. A much better solution, she thought, and blushed, thinking about last night, after the wine and the talk, when the more enjoyable communication took place.

"No mom, I am not," she said for the hundredth time, clearing her throat, embarrassed to be caught daydreaming. "I still run the place, Chris still has to run Smith Shale. He's not here as much right now, they're almost ready to announce the merger. We see each in the evenings pretty much so..."

"Uh huh. Except less linens to wash with one bed being used," Her mother hinted, humour in her voice. "How is that part going?"

"Mom!" Mel admonished, but grinned sheepishly as she got down from her own stepstool to move it over. "It's going... Well."

"I should hope so!" a voice came from the doorway, and Mel gasped and turned as Chris strode into the room, his jacket and briefcase in his hand. He reached her, smelling of cedar and cigars, and kissed her quickly before letting her go and smiling up at her mother.

"Mrs. Harris. How nice to see you," he said, helping her down from the stool as she pulled her gloves off.

"You're home early," she chided.

"I know. I'm so sorry to cut in on your Mom-daughter time, but we have some celebrating to do," he said, putting his things on the chair nearest him and opening his bag.

"Oh?" Mel asked. He'd mentioned a meeting with Frank today. She crossed her fingers that he'd gotten the signed divorce settlement papers. It had taken forever, and the worry was Gillian would be in prison before they could get done, and at that point it was difficult to get anything processed. It was sometimes weeks before you could get in to visit inmates, and the paperwork for that alone would drown divorce settlements.

Mel looked at her mom, who was smiling ear-to-ear, and gathering up the cleaning supplies as quietly as possible, attempting to sneak out of the room.

"I'll call you later," her mother whispered as she brushed past her. "I'll see myself out. We can finish this room another time."

Mel could only nod and shift her focus back to Chris as he flourished a blue covered legal-sized sheath of papers out of his bag and under her nose, flipping pages all the way to the back. She grabbed it, and held it down to see.

There, in tight blue ink, was Gillian's signature. Underneath it, was his more natural, loopy scrawl.

"It is official!" he exclaimed, and took the paper from her as quickly as he had given it, and scooped her up, twirling her around. "I am divorced!"