At Grillby's

Sans hadn't moved all day. He simply sat and watched the outside world, allowing his mind go blank, his subconscious admiring the world around. He drank his ketchup, completely unaware of the time. He glanced down at his bottle, then looked around the bar, both were empty. Sans set his bottle down onto the smooth, wooden table. His eyes drifted upward, gazing up at the pink filled sky.

Grillby brought over another ketchup, and stood leaning on the table. "That one lasted you for quite a while." He laughed, only a slight chuckle in response.

"Well, sorry to stay so late, I should get goin." Sans said with a smirk. "The day's got me bone tired."

Grillby laughed, even at such a horrible pun. "Sans, before you go, I wanted to talk to you about something."

Sans sighed, but after a while nodded. "Alright, what's up?"

Two workers walked by, the door's bell ringing as the blond held it open, the other raising a hand as they spoke in unison. "See you tomorrow Grillby!"

Grillby looked over his shoulder, and raised a hand in response silently. He turned back to Sans. "I just wanted to say, if I've done anything to upset you, that I'm sorry. You never want to talk to me about some things, so I just want you to feel comfortable talking to me." He slid his hands into his pockets, his entire body language quite out of character.

Sans laughed. "Nope. You haven't done anything, I've always been quiet about some things, even with my brother. Some things are better unsaid." Sans took one final sip of ketchup, then switched to the new bottle. His eye lights went dark as he sank where he sat.

"What do you mean by that, Sans?" His expression softened as Grillby simply asked, his eyes begging for an answer.

Sans waved a dismissive hand as he got to his feet. "Oh it's nothing, don't worry about it." Facing the door, he was ready to leave.

Grillby had a sad frown on his face. Worry was all over it, only worsening when told not to worry. He stared at the back of Sans' head, internally debating with himself. Eventually he chose to reach out towards him. Grillby set a hand on his shoulder, turning him slightly. "Sans-that's the thing, I've known you long enough to know when to worry, and it's usually when you say not to."

Sans looked up at Grillby's sad face. Suddenly his soul filled with guilt. He held eye contact one second too long, his feelings showing in his face. Light blue highlighted his cheekbones, the skeleton turning his head the second he realized. Even when he turned he knew Grillby was still staring at him. His soul was pounding again. Even if I did tell him...he'd forget by the next reset. Sans' thoughts hissed at him.

"Sans? What is really wrong? I've never seen you so stressed." Grillby had both hands on Sans' shoulders at this point.

Sans grabbed the glowing wrists, freezing the moment he did so. He began to panic with the physical contact. "I just had a bad dream is all, really you don't need to worry about it."

Grillby tilted his head as Sans released his wrists. "What kind of dream?"

Sans' body was shaking, bones rattling quietly. "It...it isn't important. My feelings aren't important..." He mumbled to himself, thinking Grillby hadn't heard. "Besides, it's pointless to tell you now." Not even a reset could help me now...

Grillby sighed, his soul heavy seeing Sans so out of character. "Sans, nothing you have to say is pointless. What feelings aren't important?"

Sans eyes went dark as he swore to himself. Shit. "I-I didn't mean...I uh..." God what do I say now? Sans stepped back and put a hand on his skull as he face palmed. "Just f-forget I said anything. Papyrus is gonna be mad if I don't get back." He rushed out the door, Grillby left alone and confused.

Sans walked out the door, the second he did so, warped home. You're an idiot Sans... He thought. I messed everything up. I slipped, and now he'll only push until he learns the truth. He'll drop me as soon as he finds out, I ruined this friendship. Sans walked in the door, greeted by Frisk and Papyrus on the couch. They were watching disney movies, a selected group of movies stacked beside the T.V. He began walking to the stairs, but not before Frisk heard him.

"Sans!" They called out, then ran over and gave him a hug.

"Would you like to join us, brother?" Papyrus asked with a smile, his body shifted to face his older brother.

"A-actually bro, I was going to take a nap." Sans still had his hands in his pockets, he didn't even hug Frisk back. Though his pained smile was quickly replaced by a fake one. He always wore smiles like a mask, and everyone knew it.

"Please?" Frisk said with their puppy eyes, or at least as puppy as closed eyes could go.

Sans smiled. "How could I say no to that? Alright, but don't get mad if I fall asleep on ya."

"Of course we won't brother! Come on, we just started this one. You'll love it!"

Sans sat on the couch, seconds afterward, Papyrus yanked Sans close to his chest.

"Papyrus? Whatcha doin?"

Frisk then laid on top on the two hugging them both.

"Frisk? You're both kinda scarin me."

"Sans, we both know when your smile isn't always a smile." Papyrus said. "And we also know you don't like to talk about it, so instead you get hugs!"

Sans smiled, his tense body relaxing. a few tears left his eye sockets, though only to be absorbed by Papyrus' scarf, his face hidden from them both. "Thanks guys."

"You're welcome Sans." Frisk giggled as they squeezed him tight.

Only ten minutes later, Sans fell asleep.