Chapter Four: Camila

A wire stuck in her arm!

Just my luck, she thought drily, next I'll slip and fall onto a saber.

Camila turned to take a look at her wound, albeit slowly and carefully, so she didn't actually skewer herself on a sword by accident.

Camila could see a small scarlet droplets of blood where the wire had pierced her skin. A wave of nausea shuddered through her as she inhaled its metallic tang. She had to get to the surgery. She had to get to the medics.

Gritting her teeth, Camila pulled the wire from her arm. There was a burst of pain and a small flush of blood. She clutched her arm, trying to staunch the flow, and stumbled out of the house. Relief coursed through her when she saw the tall, spacious medic building.

I'm lucky that I live so close to the surgery, she thought, walking in through the high arched doorway.

There were four people inside. The two adult medics were helping a woman who looked frighteningly pale. Suddenly, she started spasming, her arms jerking wildly.

Camila looked away. Her small injury was nothing compared to that affliction. She had to come back later. Then she noticed a boy. He was standing next to the patient, and grabbing equipment when the two adult medics instructed him. Camila realised that he was their son. Maybe he could help.

"Excuse me," she said, "I've cut myself. Is there anything you can do? I'll understand if you're busy right now."

He glanced at his parents, asking a question with his eyes. They nodded.

"Sure," he said, "come to the bathroom. I've got some medicine and first aid there."

He lead her out of the surgery and to a nearby house. Then he took her into the bathroom. He opened a cabinet and took out a vial and a bandage.

"Thank you so much," Camila smiled. Her arm was still hurting, but she was feeling reassured.

"Sorry, this is going to sting a bit," he said. Camila nodded grimly. She winced as he poured some of the antiseptic on her wound. As he rubbed it in, she cried out in pain.

"It's OK," he reassured, holding onto her hand. After her cut was cleaned, he got out a small bandage that went over it.

"There you go," he said. Camila smiled.

"Thanks... what's your name?"

"My name's Lance. You?"

"My name's Camila."

"Well then, nice to meet you, Camila," he said, holding out a hand. She took it and shook his hand. Then they sat quietly for a few minutes as Lance tied on the bandage.

"I just want to say thank you. For helping me. That cut could've gotten infected," she mumbled.

"It's OK. It's my job. I'm a medic. Well, an apprentice one," he said. They sat in silence for a while, then he spoke again.

"Have you ever thought about what it's like beyond the wall? What there is to discover in the desert?" he asked slowly. There was some fear on his face.

Why would he be afraid of me?

He's afraid that I'll tell someone, she thought, that I'll tell someone that he broke the taboo.

Camila kept quiet for a second, thoughts whirring and clicking in her head like panicked cogs in a wild machine.

Is this a trick, a trap? Is he faking the question? Is he going to tell Mayor Norwood if I reveal my thoughts?