Chapter Twenty-one: Jaylin

"I can't believe it," Jaylin said. It was fairly true. How could the daughter of the man who had invented the Chimera Mutation be the great grandmother of their very own Mayor?

How was it possible at all?

Just my luck, he thought, we finally found our freshwater paradise. But now, that all has to be shattered with crazy discoveries.

"Well, I guess you'll have to start believing it," Alana said, "because we need to get moving."

Jaylin knew she was right. Despite these revelations, they still had a mission. Their priority was still to inform the Los Lagos citizens of the lake they had found.

"Well, we've packed ourselves enough food and water," Jaylin said.

"I made some bullets and sharpened all of our blades," Camila said, holding a pile of the 'bullets', which were in reality nails twisted and bent into rough ball shapes.

"Very... creative," Jaylin said.

"Shut up," Camila said.

"Well then," Lance said, ignoring the two, like an adult who couldn't be bothered with the foolish antics of children, "We should get going." He picked up his satchel and slid his saber into its hilt.

"A thought just occured to me," Jaylin said, ready for everyone to ask him about his important opinions.

No-one spoke, and the sounds of crickets filled the thick summer air.

"He-hemm. A thought just occured to me," he repeated, louder this time.

"What?" Alana asked tiredly, rolling his eyes.

"What if you go to the city, preach about a so-called paradise lake, and then come back to find it taken over?"

"So you're saying that someone should stay here to guard."

"Yes."

"I've picked lots of medicine plants that I want to make into potable medicines. With the dehydration, disease will spread, so people will need them," Lance said.

"Well, I'm going too," Camila said, "I've scavenged some grenades from here that I can fix back home."

That was two of them, leaving the glade.

"I guess I'm OK with staying here. As long as you bring my family back with you," Jaylin said.

"Alana, could you stay here too?" Camila asked.

"No way! I'm not gonna miss out on the action," she grinned, swinging her axe theatrically.

"Well, Jaylin can't stay here all alone. I guess I'll stay too," Lance said.

"No, go to Los Lagos. You're right about the town needing medicines. People will die without them!" Jaylin exclaimed.

"I don't want to be stuck here," Alana hissed, eyes turning yellow.

"You have to!" Jaylin yelled. In a second, his skin was replaced with smooth. His irises turned into hungry balls of darkness, spreading and growing and consuming until his entire eyes were inky black. His mouth morphed into a maw full of tiny, needle-sharp fangs. His arms twisted into slim legs, each ending in sharp claws. A hungry rage bubbled in his stomach and scorched his throat and burned his eyes. He was hungry. His instincts took over, his eyes searching for prey.

"You have to!" he yelled again. Somehow, he felt detached, like his mind and body were separated. Something was taking over his body, taking control from him. When he spoke, he heard the words like an echo. His body moved mostly to its own accord and his anger stopped Jaylin from resisting it. The anger combined him and the predator within. He towered over her, legs bent as if poised to strike.