Chapter Thirteen: Jaylin

"When I went into the cave to hunt for fish, I found something else," Alana said. She sounded dead serious, so Jaylin leaned in closer to listen. The fire snarled and bit, sending wisps of acrid smoke curling into the night sky. They wound themselves around trees like great black serpents, nebulous and dark.

"The cave where the mountain lion lived isn't just a single cavern. It's connected to an entire system of caves and tunnels. And the pond we found actually empties into an underground river. That river flows through the entire cave system."

"And all rivers must lead to a bigger body of water," Jaylin said, realisation dawning on his face.

"Yes. That river might end up in a lake with enough water for the town," Alana finished.

"But are we really sure of that?" Camila asked skeptically.

"No, but we may as well try," Jaylin said.

"I guess it's the best chance of finding water we've got right now," concurred Lance.

"But there is a problem. How far away is this theoretical 'body of water'? If it's too far, we would never be able to bring any water to Las Lagos," Camila warned.

"That is true..." Lance started.

"But?"

"But we don't have any other good ideas. I don't think we have much choice," Lance said.

"So it's official. We go into the caves," Jaylin said brightly. He was happy about the decision. So far, the journey had been crazy. They had ran madly from an Aerosnake. Lance had slain that same Aerosnake. Then he had found a macaw-coyote and healed it. Then they had been attacked by a mutated lion. Then they had searched the jungle for food. But after all the terror and insanity, all those spur-of-the-moment decisions, they finally had a proper plan. And a proper plan usually lead to a higher rate of survival. Jaylin most certainly wanted to survive.

The next morning, the group hastily gathered their belongings. Jaylin wrapped the fish and fruit from the night before in a couple of huge palm leaves and then stuffed them into his satchel. Then, with his spear in hand, he walked up to the cave.

The cave mouth was a circle of impenetrable blackness. Jaylin hesitated for a moment and then stepped inside, his shadow vanishing as it dissolved into the surrounding darkness. There was no warm sunlight, only chilling darkness. The sound of dripping water echoed off the dense stone walls and bounced off the jagged stalagmites.

Hesitating, Jaylin turned back. He could see the jungle outside, a bright circle in the darkness of the cave. It looking so inviting. He could feel the warm touch of the sunlight, the caress of the breeze...

No, Jaylin ordered himself, this is how I can save the town, save my family. Go forward!

He looked away from the sunlight, lifting his head and facing the darkness. He reached out a hand and touched the damp wall of the cave, using it as a guide.

Jaylin stepped cautiously and slowly, edging his feet slowly forward. The shuffling footsteps of his friends comforted him. He knew that he wasn't alone. That knowledge strengthened him. As he went further and further, he got more confident.

It's easy, he thought with mounting happiness, just one foot after another. Like a game!

He was rewarded for his confidence. Ahead of him, he could see an ethereal, bioluminescent light. The light came from a clump of mushrooms, which were emitting a pale green glow. Running ahead, he saw that the mushrooms continued as far as the eye could see, growing all along the cave walls.