Chapter One

Auxira's POV:

My eyes flew open to a cold gray ceiling. 

I lay there for a while, reassuring myself that I was still in my room, on Zarkon's command ship, and not in that dark place full of death I had just seen. Slowly releasing the breath I'd been holding and forcing my tense body to relax, I sat up and rubbed the goosebumps off my arms. Staring blankly at the thin, scratchy blanket covering my legs, I thought about my most recent vision of doom.

This is probably really bad. I thought, then sighed and pushed myself out of bed. 

It wasn't unusual for me to have visions of future events, or past ones. So, even though it was one of the worse ones I've had, it didn't bother me to much. Nothing ever did bother me at all. My life is such a horrible mess that I just decided it couldn't get much worse and wasn't fazed by all the crap that was constantly thrown in my face.

Using a small mirror, I quickly ran my fingers through my short black hair and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. Grabbing the brown druid robe from its place on a chair, I pulled it on over my head and tugged the white bird-like mask over my face. The door to my room slid open and I walked out, with no specific location in mind, I just wanted to leave my dreary, enclosed room.

After wandering the large halls of Zarkons massive command ship for several dobashes, I eventually found myself in the creepy old library the druids usually inhabited.
There was only one of the other druids in the library, who completely ignored me, so I sought out a dark corner I could almost conceal myself in and pretended I was reading something important about energy manipulation or whatever. 

Now I that I could fully focus on my vision, I realized just how serious this was. My visions usually played out as I saw them one way of the other so naturally this one would as well, unless someone intervened.

A wild thought entered my head quite uninvited and loudly introduced itself to me. 

What if I went and warned voltron, and stopped this myself?

The sensible part of me scoffed at the idea. 

Ha! Like I could do anything like that!

You could! If you would just try! The idea yelled back.

You are a galran hybrid who's father is trying to take over the universe! No one is going to listen to you, why would they! Not to mention you're a druid as well!

Sighing, I ditched the idea. I knew how essential to the universe Voltron was, but there's no way I could convince the Paladins their friend was about to kill them all.
Not with who I was. 

So then what could I do? Probably nothing. Again.

But this would change everything. This event would either crush the feeble hope of those fighting for freedom or push them to fight harder. Either way, it still ended with the galra empire ruling the universe. And unless someone else had the same prophetic vision as well, I was the only one who could stop this.

I continued to argue with myself for the next several vargas, which of course got me nowhere. It was rather irritating that some small part of me still hadn't given up on everything when the rest of me had.

Eventually I decided on doing nothing, because there was nothing I could do. I couldn't just up and leave, well I could, but it wouldn't work out very well. This was probably the only place that would actually accept me, and my mother would definitely want me dead if I betrayed the galra empire, and I definitely didn't want her as an enemy. And with my brother Lotor back from exile and his uncanny skill of hunting down and destroying his enemies, I wouldn't last a quintent. 

That night, I dreamt about it again.
It was basically a follow-up vision rudely telling me to get off my apathetic butt and do something.

This time I woke in a cold sweat, and was shaking all over. I groaned in frustration. Looks like I wasn't being given a choice, these visions sometimes had a mind of their own. 

I guess a part of me always knew one day I'd leave, I never did want to rule over others, nor did I have any desire to aid the empire in this madness. 

At least now I have a good reason to die.

After waiting a moment longer, trying to find some other way, I snatched my robe and mask and headed to the docking bay.

I don't need them to trust me, I only need to stop him. If I could just slip into the castle and kill the one with the robotic arm, that should change everything.

As I walked into the docking bay, the guards immediately sensed something was off. Druids almost never came here, especially not alone.

"Halt!" commanded the first one. 

I could hear the tremer in his voice. Nobody liked speaking to the druids, much less giving them commands. 

I tilted my head at him, waiting for his next words. This seemed to unnerve him even more.

"What business do you have in this sector? Is there a shipment of quintessence I haven't heard of?" 

Not being able to think of a better excuse, I nodded. 

The guard swallowed nervously, "And it's just you? There's no one else coming?" 

I nodded again.

There was a tense pause as the guard considered whether to believe me or not, and then nodded as well and allowed me to pass.

Silently slipping past the attention of the other galra in the area, I entered a small, lightweight ship.

Reaching for the controls, I froze as an old, almost forgotten memory surfaced.
Images flashed by within my head: a burning ship, galra soldiers perishing under my magic, a crying infant, then Haggar releasing a storm of dark magic.

Wincing, I ripped off my mask and gripped the sides of my head.

That's right, i've done something like this before haven't I.
How could I have forgotten.

Shaking away the unpleasant memory and ignoring the rising doubts regarding what I was about to get myself into, I grabbed the controls and the ship rumbled to life.

Any suspicions the guards had were undoubtedly confirmed when I flew out of the hangar with a ship definitely not designed for shipping quintessence.
Lucky for me they must have still been confused because I was out of the system before anyone began to give chase. But it wouldn't be long before they caught up to me.

Now to find Voltron.