Chapter X. No rest for the wicked

The small fleet was under way for about a week now with little sign of activity of any kind. Invictus kept up her patrols while the Cobra destroyers continuously scanned the area, feeding all ships with sensor data. Though the scope was clear, the commanders and officers were not at ease. While traveling this close to the GrailDark nebula, everyone had the feeling that they were being watched. It was almost as if the nebula itself was looking upon the five vessels as unwelcome intruders.

Just before departing, the commanders of the escort vessels came aboard Invictus to plan the exact route. Again it was clear that these men were a rough bunch. Clearly they've seen a lot of bad stuff. However, Howard had them pegged from the moment they stepped aboard. Prove you can keep your word and they will follow to hell and back.

For some reason, a fifth imperial figure had joined the commanders in the Situation Room. He wasn't part of the Navy, that much was clear. The man wore a black trenchcoat with red lining and inner sleeves, together with a pointed officers cap. According to Goradin, this man was part of a different branch within the Imperium. Something called the Commissariat. Whatever his purpose was aboard, he didn't interfere or take part in the route planning in great part.

He just stood around, observing mostly.

Price didn't care much at the moment. He had more pressing matters to discuss with the commanders.

With their combined experiences and area knowledge they could avoid certain known hotspots of pirate activity. But they would still have to cross a lot of dangerous ground. Some of which they had already passed without seeing any sign of the enemy, or any sign of anyone.

According to intel provided by the station commanders, a lot of imperial ships were already en-route. By now they would have seen someone or a plasma trail of some kind, indicating traveling ships.

The route was entirely empty. No ships, no plasma trails, no debris, no comm traffic. Nothing. Something was off here.

None of the Commanders liked it one bit and thus kept their crews close to alert. Ready to react within a moments notice. As a added precaution Price had ordered radio-checks every one or two hours, especially if one of the destroyers peeled off to investigate a nearby area. Mostly unnecessary, but if someone got missing, they'd know it soon enough.

Right on time for his duty-shift, Price marched in the CIC to take the Conn. "Sit-Rep" He ordered.

He was answered by one of the junior officers on watch.

"All systems nominal, course steady at 236 by 75. DRADIS is clean."

"Fleet Report?"

"All ships have reported in half an hour ago. All report Negative contacts as well."

"Very well Major. I have the Conn, you are relieved."

"Yes Sir" the man replied before walking off for his down-time.

"Where is the XO" Price asked at a nearby console operator.

"The colonel was called away to engineering. Something about maintenance."

"Alright, have you seen the LT?"

"The Blue should be around somewhere. Last I saw him he was looking at the fleet comms" he said while pointing toward the other side of the room.

'Blue', so that is what they were calling him now. The crew was getting accustomed to having foreign officers aboard. Seemed like a good thing. Though they'd never say that name to his face and expect to survive his response. Maybe that was a part of the reason why they did precisely that. Maybe it was a good idea to explain this later to the man should he lack the sense of humor.