Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO - THE WARDEN

Bullets, flying over my head, peppering the ground behind me. Heavy artillery exploding, and launching fellow soldiers over my head. I was behind a wall of sandbags, so I looked over it, just in time to see an enemy charging at me full force, bayonet pointed directly at my throat.

"Ahhh! I'm too young to die!" I screamed, tears running down my face - And then I woke up.

"Hahaha! What's wrong with you? Did 'Cry Baby' have a bad dream?" Mocked Danny, Xbox controller in hand.

I looked around and everyone else seemed to be awake but me. I had a dream that I was in a war...But why? Just then I heard more gun shots, but these were coming from the TV. When I looked up, I saw the game 'Battlefield 4', one of Danny and Bentley's favorite games, being played.

"Oh...I had a dream. I think I was in a war or something." I groaned, eyes squinting at the game.

"Told you we should have turned it down!" Hissed Maddie.

"Nah, don't worry about it. I'm up now"

"Whatever you say Matt." replied Bentley.

Getting up, I felt horrible. I dug into my pocket for my phone, to check the time. When I finally pulled it out, it was dead.

"Maddie, what time is it?"

"Let's see" Maddie paused, digging into her pocket "My phone says it's 3:35 PM."

"No way! You're kidding!"

"Bro! You stayed up until half passed four last night! What did you expect?"

"Why aren't you just waking up then?"

"I woke up literally, like 10 minutes before you."

I sat up, feeling weak and overslept. I was extremely hungry, so my first instinct was to go upstairs and grab a snack. Standing up, and making my way to the stairs, Maddie stopped me before I could. I felt her arm grab onto my shoulder and spin me around.

"Where do you think you're going?" She asked.

"Upstairs to grab a snack... What do you think?"

"Not without blowing out the candles on your cake- no...Our cake!"

"Oh yeah that's right! Maddie I completely forgot about my birthday cake! Yo - Bent and Danny get upstairs it's cake time!" I shouted, excited to devour it.

Bentley ran to the stairs, but stopped half way, returned back to the living room, and turned off the Xbox. On his way back to the stairs, he carelessly tossed the controller over his shoulder, and shot past all of us. I had been paying so much attention to Bentley acting like a fool, that I didn't even notice Danny speed by me.

When we got to the top, Maddie opened the fridge, and removed a huge, circular cake pan from the fridge. The whole thing was wrapped in Aluminum Foil.

"Lady, and Gentlemen! Behold, the cake masterpiece, designed and baked by your favorite person ever! The one, the only, the Maddie!" Danny said in a terrible attempt at an announcer voice.

We all laughed, not at his comedy, but at his voice, and idiocy. Maddie grabbed hold of the tin foil, and tore it off in one quick gesture. At first glance, the cake looked amazing! There was all kinds of awesome piping on the edges, and she even made little chocolate sculptures to put on the cake. However, there was something missing...One slice missing to be exact. That one slice, didn't seem to be a big deal to me, although it sure did have me curious. Maddie on the other hand, was furious.