Perfect By Design

"Unplug the clock. I'm running out of time." 

Jesse opened the door to the sound of guitar and Jaden's soft voice that rang out through the halls.

"I'm tired of everything I called mine"

Jaden had learned pretty quickly for someone who hadn't thought he could. It'd only taken a few days for him to get the basics and here we are a week later and he's practically mastered it.

"I'm sick of trying to find a word that works"

And from what Jesse could tell from what he'd heard Jaden hadn't wasted a second in writing a new song for himself.

"an ocean filled with photographs and names"

Jesse stood frozen there as he listened. Part of him knew he probably shouldn't just stand there but he couldn't make himself move.

"I hang them on a wall without a frame. A million strangers walking past and stare"

Something about the song, no, it was more Jaden's tone as he sang, seemed to resound through him. Touching his heart further the more he listened.

"I swear I'm running fast, but go nowhere" 

Jesse barely noticed when a door down the hall creaked open. And next to silent footsteps make their way down the hall, one by one as the guitar plays on unaccompanied for a moment.

"can you rip the stitches one by one?"

Jesse could feel the tears peaking in his eyes but held them back, still unaware of the growing crowd behind him.

"I'll wake you up and let you know it's done"

Jesse felt something brush against his side and looked down to see a kid, maybe 10 years of age standing there.

"You can hide but you know you can't run"

Jesse turned to take in the rest of the crowd, all having varying looks of interest but none looking upset to have their day interrupted.

"Time and time again we fall in line"

Most of them were older people but there were a few his age as well as a handful or so of younger kids.

"Cookie cutter houses all aligned"

Some looked sad, others just seemed intrigued by what they were hearing.

"Everything is perfect by design" 

Jaden continued on completely oblivious to the crowd outside.

"So why can't I escape my own mind?"

Jesse held a finger to his lip to tell them to stay quiet before leading them all into the apartment.

"Patiently awaiting something new"

They came to a stop in the doorway to the living room. 

"Something that won't remind me of you" 

Jaden had his back to them as he kept playing.

"open the door is leaving soon" 

Jaden's tail swayed slightly.

"The corners of my mind are closing in. Rip away my defences, wearing thin" 

Jaden shifted slightly.

"if it ends then where do I begin?" 

For a second Jesse had thought Jaden had noticed them.

"How did these get underneath my skin" 

But after a moment Jaden settled into a slightly different position and didn't seem to have faltered in his playing.

"Let me know when its all said and done" 

With no signs of stopping.

"Let me know when it's all said and done"

Jesse let out a soft sigh of relief.

"Let me know when its all said and done" 

Jaden smirked slightly but was careful not to give any sign hed noticed.

"Let me know when its all said and done"

(So this is where I choose to leave this one at. Kinda a different one for me as I don't particularly like this type of story but it felt like it fit perfectly for this chapter and then this song, link above, by Nathan Sharp/Natewantstobattle. I fell in love with it and felt like it almost fit Jaden's situation, or how he would see his situation at least. Please leave a review if you can. Helps me know if you guys want me to continue or not)