"stanza one"

"roses were your favorite flower, and i couldn't stand the scent

"roses were your favorite flower, and i couldn't stand the scent. but if it's what it takes to put smile on your face, i guess ill deal with it."

JUNE 24, 1989. 12:29 PM. DERRY, MAINE.
_____________________________
della's pov:

"oh fuck off bowzer." i roll my eyes at the 15 year old boy. "you really have nothing better to do than make fun of someone? what the fuck has this kid done to you? go be an asshole somewhere else, to someone who deserves it." i seethe out, crouching down to the curly haired boy. i look at him quickly, realizing it was the rabbi's son. stanley uris. we had had classes together, but we never talked. he was a cute boy, little bit taller than me. with brown eyes and curly hair to compliment them. he was quite small, but not as tiny compared to his friends. my heart had ached for him once i realized he was missing the hat he wore for religious terms. henry had probably threw it. i roll my eyes once again at his ignorant ways.

"are you okay, stanley?" i ask, "i know henry is mean. i just couldn't watch him hurt you." the jewish boy's eyes grow wide, before he coughs and scratches the back of his head. "i-uh yeah," he stuttered. "im fine, thank you." i quickly nod my head, rising from my knees to reach my hand out. stan grabs it, letting me help him up. while standing up, he was a lot taller than me, different from what i usually thought. maybe we had just never been this close before. i clear my throat, smiling widely as i release my hand from his.

"so, you excited for summer?" stanley nodded, fidgeting with his hands. "yeah! hopefully i don't run into that dumb- anyways" he cut himself off and i giggled slightly, knowing what he was going to say. "are you?"

i nodded vigorously, "my friends and i are gonna go swim-"

"DELLA! we leave you for three seconds and you're talking to a loser? what would you do without us." stan's smile washed away fast, and he rolled his eyes at gretta. i stuttered, feeling embarrassment wash over me. not because of stanley uris, but because of gretta's terrible personality and sick mouth. "i-im sorry" i spitted out, looking at the 'loser.' his eyes are cold and he looks at me with no emotion he held before. "go." he turned around, leaving me. i frowned, sighing. "where were you?" she stumped over, arms crossed and looking mad as ever. "obviously not with you," i huffed.

"oh I'm sorry? did i interrupt a moment between you and the jew? funny, didn't think so. anyways, can you go in your locker to get my headband?" she asked, not even paying attention to me. my blood boiled, and i turned on the heel of my feet. 2 things i hated at this point. gretta being the first, and her ugly ass headband no one liked. marching up to a locker, i kick it, stomping on the ground afterwards.

"you know what gretta? stick your fucking pink headband up your ass. i don't care anymore. no don't call me that-" i argue with myself, pretending i could ever say these things to the terrible witch herself. i didn't know why i was friends with her, i didn't want to be anymore. sighing, i open my locker. something falls. bending down, i pick up one rose.

"i know you like roses, you said it once in class. personally, i hate them. kinda like i hate your friend, gretta. but if im gonna be in love with you, i guess ill deal with them both. anyways, enjoy" no name or initials. i smile hard, my face hurting from the simple words. grabbing the pink band, i strut out of the middle school.