one

an: so i rewrote this and it's alllll different. you guys know me by now so you know updates are sporadic. however, I've had this sitting in my drive for a year and really wanted to put this out so read if you dare

//

She is eighteen, a freshman in college, when Lauren Jauregui first approaches her. She's kind of a big deal on campus, and Camila knows that.

The transition from high school to college isn't smooth for her and Camila hadn't anticipated it to be. She has always been the girl to keep a low profile, not one to draw attention to herself.

So it's understandable when she hesitates to respond to Lauren's request of dinner at some fancy restaurant near campus. She's never been on a date unless you count going to senior prom with one of her friends as one. But she doesn't really think that counts.

She ends up politely rejecting Lauren's proposal and Lauren asks her if it's because she's straight. Camila ponders the question for a moment, never considering that playing a part in her refusal. Although she's never been in a relationship, she has found herself being attracted to others, not really limiting herself to the male population.

So she tells Lauren that. Which she sort of thinks is a mistake because the girl takes that as a challenge. She goes out of her way to to walk her to one of her lecture halls even though it's completely in the opposite direction of her own class. It's sweet and Camila begins to become accustomed to Lauren's presence in her life.

The raven-haired girl doesn't ask Camila out again until one night when they run into each other on campus and Lauren decides to walk her back to her dorm at The Hill, UCLA's student housing.

"Which hall do you live in?" Camila questions because she realizes it has never come up. Her hands are in her pockets as she watches the campus' excitement deflate and students travel to their living quarters.

Lauren flashes her a knowing smile as she shrugs and says, "I don't live in a residence hall."

"So, where do you live? Off campus?"

Lauren bites her bottom lip, suppressing a smile as they arrive at the tall, high-rise building. Camila despises that she finds the expression so adorable on the girl and diverts her gaze to the doors of her dormitory.

Not a moment later and she feels soft fingers grasp her chin and force her to focus on Lauren's gorgeous emerald eyes.

"How about you let me take you out on that date and I'll consider letting you see where I live?" It's a force of habit for Lauren's mannerisms to be perceived as suggestive by Camila, so when she scoffs and begins walking away, Lauren knows that's the problem.

"Hey, wait." Lauren catches her wrist and hurries to make eye contact again. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Really, Lauren? Because I try to ignore the gossip traveling around campus but it's difficult when my name gets caught in it. I've heard plenty of rumors about me being your new fascination. I don't want that and I thought I made that clear."

Lauren scowls, irritation present in her expression. "It's unfair of you to judge my intentions based on stupid fucking gossip. I've been polite and respectful toward you, quietly pursuing you in a way I thought you'd appreciate."

Camila lowers her gaze as she processes Lauren's words. The girl is right and she feels the guilt seep in. It's her turn to grab the other girl's wrist as she attempts to walk away.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have judged you. I promise to keep my opinions of you restricted to our interactions. I really hope that date is still on the table."