CHAPTER 2

(art by @mclanchez-dictionary)

VOICEOVER #3:

Yanno, I did try to find the cure. And then Allura just goes 'Pidge, go study diplomatic Galaxorian law and culture, you're not going to a ball without knowing anything about them'. I dunno, I think she asked Coran to research, but he couldn't find the cure, apparently?

She asked Coran. Yeah. But like, you barely told him anything about the poem.

I think I actually didn't tell him.

Yeah, yeah whatever, get on with the story. I was especially handsome around here.

You're always handsome.

Wow, I'm surprised you said that.

I know, I am too.

~~~

DAY 8:

"I hope you Paladins are prepared for the ball tomorrow," Allura tactfully reminds. Pidge's mind isn't on the ball, or the dress part of it, hand lazily swirling her spoon in her food goo, because her mind has been stuck on the poem for days.

Recipe for a truth spell. Could it be the spell they were currently being tormented by? Probably. But why would the Galran Lotor have access to an Altean potion?.

Why four leaf clover, why tears? Pidge may as well be able to make that on her own. Well, maybe except for the fact that she had no idea where to get four leaf clovers other than Earth, and no idea how to find the tears of a fraught lover.

If only the poem had included a cure.

"Pidge? Earth to Pidge!" Lance waves his hand unceremoniously in Pidge's face, immediately grabbing her attention.

"Huh?"

"Allura was asking if you wanted to wear a dress for tomorrow's ball," Lance reports. Pidge curiously tilts her head to look at Allura, cocking one eyebrow.

"That would be nice," she says, stupidly unable to help herself. If she weren't under the influence of the spell, she would definitely have not replied as such, more likely to roll her eyes and deny the very notion. But alas, the truth spell was actually in existence, and Pidge had actually replied positively. Goddamnit.

"Really? You're not running away this time?" Allura squawks, surprised.

"I don't think I am." Not a very confident reply, strange considering the spell, but there nonetheless. Lance raises an eyebrow.

"Not to be a party pooper, but don't the aliens think Pidge is male? Like I know all of us, even Keith somehow, would look stonkin' hot in a ballgown, but what will the Galaxorians think?"

So Lance thought Keith would look good in a ballgown? Shiro? Hunk?

Herself?

Thankfully, the spell doesn't compel her to ask questions, only to answer them, so Pidge stays quiet and tries not to show even a semblance of reaction.

Allura laughs, the sound tinkling like little birds fluttering down from trees. So goddamn ethereal. You would never guess that a laugh like that belonged to a fierce and powerful warrior princess.

"Lance, do you really think our very, very diverse colonies of people care about femininity and masculinity?"

Lance reddens.

"Earth culture," is all he answers. Allura raises an eyebrow questioningly, letting it fall back down and continue her talking, prompted by all the interested looks around the table.