Up in Ashes (20K Special)

I know it's a bit late, but my OCD will triggar if I don't do it every five thousand views. A 25k Special will be out soon also.

Eplanation:

This was an essay I had to write for English. I was given a word limat of 500 words so it's kind of short. BUT I thought you might like it nonetheless.

We were supposed to write a naritive (That followed certain guideline that I won't get into detail) and it had to be in first person and it had to be a true story about our life. So, yeah. This actually happened to me.

Enjoy!

***

It was silent in my house, which was uncommon for a house with a family of ten. It's almost never quiet, but then again, everyone, exhausted from the previous day's work, was still fast asleep. I sat in a white chair as I stared out my window. I just looked at the melancholy scene that resided in my backyard. It was hard to stare at the scene, but in some odd way, it comforted me. If I could absorb the reality of the situation, I would be able to learn to deal with it and live on.

November 25th, the day after Thanksgiving, was an unforgettable day for my family. My family, because school was out for a break, had decided to take care of our five-acre land instead of trying to find deals on things we really didn't need. We had cleaned and mowed the yard, organized our barn, and cleaned up the chicken coop. We're preparing for the winter ahead.

When the work was all done, we headed for bed. I lied in my bed as something didn't feel right. I sat awake as I stared at the bed above, for I slept on the bottom bed of a bunk bed as my older sister slept on top. It was peaceful and silent as I tried to let the night consume me till the next morning's day. Through, when I started to feel tired, a call came inside our house. It was my brother's voice as he called, "The barn is on fire!"

Knowing how old the barn was and what it was made of, I rushed out of my bed as I quickly threw on my shoes. "If I don't act soon," I thought to myself, "the fire would quickly spread." I, ready to put out the fire, quickly ran out of the house.

But as I ran out, a wave of heat washed over me as the sky was a sunset orange. The flames consumed our barn as it rose to two or three times the size of the barn in minutes. According to my brother, he saw it catch fire a mere five to ten minutes ago. The heat was fierce as it roared in the middle of the night heating the air like mid-summer sun. It was so intense that it was too hot for me to stand any closer, and I was easily a couple hundred feet away. The smoke from the air consumed the sky as it formed a huge cloud over my house as it looked if it was a cloudy night.

My family was lucky that day. The woods by the barn hadn't caught fire and lead to our house burning down. The firefighters came just in time to save the woods and our house, but they couldn't save any bit of our barn or anything inside. Everything was in ashes. In the morning, the building wasn't even recognizable. An odor of the burnt barn filled the air outside as it felt thick and chalky in my lungs. I sat in the chair as I just stared at what used to be.

***

If you'd like the longer version with more detail and a resolution and how my family got through this, comment below. I might make it a later view special.

(Also, the picture above was an actual photo of the barn after the fire.)

~KanGian