Chapter 2

Chapter 2 – Get Off My Back

“Akira! Oh, come on Akira! Slow down!”

A scowl presented itself on my face when I halted in my steps and turned around, coming face to face with a beaming Annelise. Not even the end of her first week and I’d already begun hating her. Each hour, each minute, each second she will always search the campus for me – literally always. I waited for her to say something, tapping my foot impatiently whilst arms crossed over my chest.

“Well?” I finally asked after a long pause of silence.

She simply beamed wider and made a move to grab my arm but after days of practice, I’d learnt to step back and keep her at arm’s length. Knowing her, I would have been dragged either to the cosmetic store or the football field, which I so dearly hate because of the players there. I watched her smile fall albeit but it quickly reappeared as though nothing happened.

“Come on! I want to go to the field!”

I ignored the nosy onlookers and narrowed my eyes into a glare. “Don’t you have other friends?” My voice was laced with venom as I felt my hate grow the more I stood with her.

“They’re all at the field already,” she pouted, standing straight to meet me in the eyes then added, “Why won’t you hangout with me?”

Without a moment’s thought, I replied, “Because all the things you like, I hate.”

“But –”

“Because all the things you do, I hate. Because of you, my time of peace and quiet is gone.”

As if my words hadn’t affected her, she shrugged and said, “But all you do is sit and mope around, stare into space and be quiet!”

I felt a growl threatening at the back of my throat. “Is it so bad if I want to be alone? You don’t know who I am!”

I turned around to continue my way home when she pulled my arm back. I didn’t stop at her action but only did because she stumbled into when she didn’t have the strength to do so.

“Wait –”

Turning my head around, I glared at her, letting her see the glimpse of anger and hatred burning in my eyes and a smirk twitched when she flinched back. I jerked my arm free of her and walked.

“Why are you so full of hatred…?” she muttered, loud enough for my ears.

“I don’t need to answer to you.”

It was either she was obvious or ignorant as she picked up her heels and stood in front of me, using her hands to push me back. My right foot shot back when she did, catching my footing.

“What the hell is your problem? I’m trying to be your friend!” Her volume rose with each word but I remained unfazed, my own anger boiling.

“I don’t want to be your friend!”

“Why? What’s wrong with you?” she screamed, coming forward to push me again.

Anticipating her move, I sidestepped and clenched my hands into fists, refraining myself from laying a finger on her. Her smile disappeared, her face distorting into irritation and anger. Everyone in the hallways stopped what they were doing, now curious and watching our fight. It was silent with only the shuffling of papers rustling in the air.

“What –”

Before she could finish, I took a dangerous step near, my eyes glinting with menace and she mirrored my step backwards, fear taking over her anger.

“Get. Off. My. Back,” I hissed between my teeth, taking a step with each word.

As I neared her, she half expected an attack but I walked past her with my head held high, not a single of my touch upon her skin.