I

One Of Us
I

"Mom's working late...again?"

My older brother nods over the stove, sighing as he places the wooden spoon down on the counter. He was looking down at a small pot with water boiling inside.

It was spaghetti night tonight. I always loved my brother's spaghetti, especially with the orange sauce he uses.

He always made dinner for me ever since we were young. Mom worked at night so she was never around to cook us something before she left for work. It was up to my brother to feed us. At first, he usually made me cereal for dinner before he was allowed to use the stove. That was probably Mom's best decision she ever made in her life.

"(Y/N)..." he mumbles while twisting open a can of tomato sauce, "You know how it goes with her. She works late every night. I don't know why you keep asking me."

I shrugged my shoulders, "Just in case. You don't know if she has a date or not..."

"A date?" He laughs, "You'd think we'll meet the guy by now. Trust me (Y/N), I doubt she'll be able to score a date after the way she looks."

"Sam..." I whined.

For as long as I can remember, Sam never liked Mom. He said she was a lost cause, but I just couldn't see it. I mean, she raised us on her own my whole life! God knows what she's going through right now.

"Don't get all babyish on me now." He chuckles while looking over his shoulder at me.

I walked over to him, watching him pour the spaghetti in the strainer to drain out the water. He then poured the spaghetti back in the pot before dumping the whole can of sauce inside.

"Go get the table ready, okay?" He asks, ruffling my (H/C) hair.

I nod my head, reaching up to grab two plates from the cabinet above us.

"I was thinking maybe we should hang out with Bill and the others tomorrow?" I say, setting the plates down, "He said something about looking in the Barrens tomorrow, I think?"

Sam made a noise that resembled a grunt. He knew Bill and his friends for a while, longer than me in fact. I'm pretty sure they knew each other since Grade School. Out of the group, I'd usually see Sam hang with Richie the most. Maybe it was because of his loudmouth and wisecracking attitude that he admired the most.

Sam, however, didn't like it when only me and Bill hung out together.

I assumed he was just playing the older, protective brother role and made sure no boy was trying to hit on me. Bill was different. Bill was one of my closest friends, we always found something to bond over.

"He's still looking for Georgie?" Sam asks with a frown, "I don't know why he's still looking for him. I try to tell he's-"

I narrowed my (E/C) eyes at him, "He's not dead, Sam, he's missing."

Georgie was Bill's little brother and he went missing a few months back. I can tell Bill was still in denial about his disappearance and insisted he was still alive. I knew he was still alive, too. He couldn't be dead. Who would've killed a nice boy like Georgie?