Chapter 3

Kunthala Desam

'Good morning' she wished him lining his face with her soft touches. 'Ok it's getting late I should get going, Annaya must be waiting for me' she muttered to herself. 'Happy birthday Chelli' he hugged her. 'Bless me annaya-vadina'. 'May god bless you with long life and loving life partner', blessed both.  The last few words made her blush and think about him. 'Where are you lost kanna' her vadina asked caressing her head lovingly. 'It's nothing vadina.. I will get their blessings now' she said managing the situation and left their chamber. Opening the huge door she felt a prick in her chest, this pain will never go Amma-Nanna. She bent down to get their blessings from the huge portrait fixed to the wall.

Right from her childhood she has seen people around her only expressing love for eachother. She always blames herself for the sudden turn of events few minutes after her birth. Rani Padmini suffered excessive bleeding and high blood pressure soon after Devasen's birth leading to her demise. It was initially told that her very late pregnancy can cause risks for both mother and offspring and was advised an abortion. But a stubborn Rani Padmini with all love and care brought Devasena to life leading herself to death. Her death shaked the entire country. She was known for her wit, courage and kind nature. She has always seen all her country men as her home. She was more addressed as Amma than Rani Padmini. Devasena's father, Raja Indiravarma's condition was never the same after the demise of his beloved wife. He was so drowned in sorrow that at times he had skipped his meals. Soon he turned weaker due to stress and loss of appetite which led to his death. But as a father he has never failed to fulfill his responsibilities. He loved Devasena so much. He announced Jayasena as the King soon after the death of his wife and gave him the responsibility of Devasena and the country. He took a promise from him stating that Devasena should never come to know the reason of her mother's death and you must give her the warmth of  both mother and father. But through servents gossips Devasena came to know the reason of her mother's death and started blaming her. Afterall the very day is her mother's death day too. Her trance were broken by a creaking sound of the door. 'Devasena, what happened dear? Why are you crying' asked a worried brother. 'Nothing Annaya.. it's... ju..just..' her voice choked. Understanding her situation 'listen baby.. she gave birth to a strong and bold Princess of Kunthala.. not to this weeping one. Even during your birth you didn't weep much it seems, the nurse said you were all smiling. I can understand what you are going through ma, but never blame yourself for what happened to Amma. She was hell bent to give birth to you.. you are very precious for all of us and see you never fail to amaze us.. Don't know why, but I strongly believe that there must be a purpose for your birth' he said carressing her head lovingly. 'Now stoping crying.. you know right? I can't see tears from your eyes'. She smiled at him assuringly. 'Come let's go' he pulled her out of their parent's chamber. On their way to the court, they received a message stating that they are suspecting robbers to have surrounded one of their villages market area. 'Annaya.. let me see what it is' Devasena volunteered herself. 'No dear.. not today atleast. We can send our dhandakaras (police force)'. 'No Annaya.. ofcourse our dhandakaras will accompany me, but I will lead them. What if it is my birthday? I can't behold myself from my duties' she answered stubbornly. 'Sare Chelli. Anyways you are going to listen to me, but take care'. 'Sure Annaya'. 'Rajmantri, arrange the needful', she ordered leaving for her chamber to change.