Chapter 3

I smiled to myself as Hannah rolled into the driveway on her blue and black skateboard; I loved it when she got home. She jumped off her skateboard and walked up the porch to where I was and patted the space above the plant on the bench.
No. She did not know that I was there.

Her dead cat's remains grew this plant.

But aside from that she petted it every day. She liked to think it gave her good luck, honestly. I followed her as she walked throughout the house only to plop down on her bed when she walked into her bedroom. She opened up the screen on her laptop and started to play a game called 'Minecraft Story Mode.' I don't know what purpose it has in life, but it looked like a fun game. I had always wanted to see her craft a unicorn, but I guess it's not possible to craft a unicorn from blocks.
"Shit." She said as her rectangle hand dropped some gold blocks down a cliff. I had sort of gotten used to her cursing, but it still shocked me.
Her laptop suddenly went black and she cursed under her breath and said something about a dead battery. She got up from her bed and pulled out her phone to text her friend, Jessica.

H: meet at ship in 10
Kk will be there in a sec: J
H: Bring the goods
                             k: J
H: illyourself

She laughed at the joke she just rudely made. After all, I was dead. She ran outside, checking to make sure no one was looking, and moved the grill aside to reveal a secret tunnel. She stepped out into it and dragged the grill back infront of the opening to hide it. I ran out after her and had trouble keeping up because of her long-leggedness. God, why did I have to be short?
She stopped running as we entered a dimly lit clearing. She stomped on a black panel three times, paused, and jumped on it once. A space opened between two large rocks and as Hannah ran in, it closed.
I rolled my eyes. Kids these days were just so darn rude.
She yelled a phrase up into the trees and I smiled at her when she did it. I shall not tell it because that would be giving away a secret...
Ehh...
Oh, who cares it's not like she's going to read this anyway.
"Open up shit kokku!" She yelled.
"Chiksho marimo!" Another voice yelled back. Jessica, I'm guessing.
They got it from some anime, I don't know which one, though.
A large bush fell out of the way and revealed a large pirate ship. It was made out of elm wood and had a lions head on the front of it. The sides were painted with red and blue and green to make it blend in with its flowering surroundings. Jessica hopped off of the side and landed infront of Hannah. She smiled at Hannah and then hugged her. Her hair was a reddish-brown color and she had dark brown glasses. She brought a black backpack around her side to show to Hannah.
"Did you bring the honeybuns?" She asked.
"Girl, of course I did. And I brought some nutter butters, too." I hated her high pitched voice. It made me think of her yorkie-poo.
Hannah, Jessica, and I climbed up into the boat and the mast into the birds nest to sit down. They talked and ate their fill of sweets as I listened. Jessica went on and on about how her mom wouldn't let her quit soccer; she even started to cry a bit. Hannah talked about how her mom was now doing drugs and how her dad was asking for a divorce because her mom couldn't have kids anymore.

Well, damn. I didn't know that. I thought to myself.
When they ran out of snacks, they said goodbye and Jessica left. I watched her exit the clearing and I turned around to look at Hannah as she stared at the wall. Splashes of colors reached out to me as I stared at the many paintings Hannah had done. A real life painting of her and I stood out from the mass of paintings on the wall. I heard a sigh from Hannah and I was startled as she reached for a painting next to the one I was looking at. It was one of Jonah, Hannah, and I standing next to a waterslide. A single tear trickled down her face and she hugged the painting to her chest. I instinctively wrapped my arms around her and I felt her head rest on my shoulder. She looked up at me and murmured a quiet 'thank you.' I saw her freeze and look up slowly as her gaze set upon my face. Her eyes widened and she let her mouth hang open.
"Farley?!" she yelped.
I jolted backwards as I realized what had just happened. Hannah had seen my face.