Chapter 1: Hello

Life was good. Kale walked into his new school like he owned it, a sure way to get oneself killed if it was anything but a human school. But this was Emerson High. It was a human school and the girls didn't mind one bit, even if the boys did. He slid his sunglasses into his dark blonde hair that was just a little too long and shot a grin toward a stunning brunette, her body slender and held in elegance. She just caught herself as she slid down against her locker. When even the cheerleaders couldn't speak, you knew life was good.

His wolf, Nova, hummed beneath the surface of his skin, content if not satisfied and just as arrogant if not more. They both loved the stares that followed, some filled with envy, some with want and some with amusement. Nonetheless the hallway was hushed and gazes were rapturous, almost disturbingly intent.

He strolled into the reception and whispers started. He smiled secretively. The receptionist lifted her greying chestnut head and met his gaze confidently, her crystalline eyes melting the smile off his face. "Respect is the foundation of our society Mr Ransom, show it." So much for a human school.

The woman had the face of a European princess. She looked like the type to sit in a tower and marvel at her reflection as she brushed out her hair, all while being guarded by a fire-breathing dragon. However her tone and confidence told him that she would be able to slay any dragon and rescue herself. This woman was a wolf of standing. Elder, Kale recognized the authority and obeyed mindlessly, bowing his head and breaking their gaze.

"Come closer, pup," she commanded and immediately turned back to her work, the computer's screen reflecting in her glasses.

Nova growled at the term but held back from confrontation. He'd worked too hard for blood to be spilt now. As Kale approached the Elder, he took over Kale's body. His presence was evident in the striking amber of his eyes, borderline arrogant confidence in his posture and fluency of his movements.

The Elder was not at all fazed by the mannerisms. She examined him head to toe taking in all the signs that he didn't know he was showing, "My Alpha will meet with you, wolf."

"I was not aware that this was pack territory," spoke Nova, in deep tones. Secretly he was actually happy, he would be around others like him and for now even just their presence would be good enough.

"Our territory starts outside the school, with the forest, but nonetheless my Alpha will meet you." She handed him a schedule, "Come back here after your last for the rest of your forms."

Nova looked down at the schedule designed specifically for his human and the realisation of what he had done hit him. He had gotten into one of the best schools in the country but he'd have to tiptoe around people more than he expected. "Just one question, ma'am-"

"Mrs Weston," she corrected, going back to her work. Her fingers tapped a complicated rhythm on the keyboard as her eyes flicked side to side, reading what she was typing like a pianist would read her sheet music.

"Your Alpha's name?" Nova asked awkwardly. Sure way to show you've never been in a pack. He'd been too long out of the loop.

"Nova, back away, your time is not now," the Elder deflected the question.

Nova obeyed the command and retreated leaving a very confused Kale in his wake. Kale shook his head slightly and began to back out of the office.

"Oh, Mr Ransom?" Chrizelda called.

"Yes, Elder?" he asked. He looked up at the Elder but she didn't bother to turn her attention from her work.

"Be careful, don't mess with the Alpha's cousin; the Marsden family is well-liked and much respected, not only will the wolves neglect you." She stared at him over the sleek black frame of her glasses, the drumming of her hands tapping the keyboard continued as if to somehow convey a message.