the pact | prologue.

the pact

a bryce harper fanfiction

written by blessing j

copyright of 2017. don't steal!

"we made a pact that if by 2017 neither of us are into someone else, engaged, or married, we'd marry each other. you still wanna go through with it?"

starring

aja naomi king as cassandra davis

bryce harper as himself

»»»»

2013.

With a heavy sigh, Cassandra Davis plopped down on the couch next to her best friend, Bryce Harper and hugged her knees to her chest. The only sound in the small apartment was that of her soft sniffles; Bryce made it a point not to talk whenever Cass waltzed into his place with something on her mind, whether her demeanor was angry or sad. He just let her get out whatever emotions she needed to, and if she wanted to talk about it, they would. That's how it'd been since the beginning.

"You okay?" He turned towards her, arm resting on the back of the couch.

Cassandra dabbed at the corners of her eyes with her shirtsleeve, nodding. "I'm just feeling down, I guess."

Bryce blew out a sigh. "Mike broke up with you again? Cass, you gotta let him go. He's a grade-A douchebag."

"I know, Bryce." She bit her lip, leaning her head back against the cushion. "What am I doing wrong? It's like every guy I'm interested in turns out to be a jerk."

Bryce ran his fingers through his hair, shrugging. "Well, maybe you're just not ready for a serious relationship yet."

She narrowed her eyes. "And here I thought best friends were supposed to comfort you after a breakup."

Bryce chuckled, stood, heading into the kitchen to pour them both a warm mug of coffee. "Hey, I am comforting you. It's called tough love. You may not wanna hear it, but it doesn't make it any less true."

"It's easy for you to take that position. Women practically throw themselves at your feet." And people often thought them a couple because of it. It was like a platonic relationship couldn't be seen as anything else.

"And even with that being true, do you see me with a girlfriend? No. 'Cause I'm only 20 right now, and I'm not trying to get into anything serious."

Cassandra sighed, thanking him after he brought over the cups. She stirred in a few teaspoons of sugar, followed by cream and then began to stir lightly. "So what do you suggest I do?"

"Get your degree, get a job, live your dreams. Then in a couple years, see where you are and what guy may be around." Bryce paused for a moment, sincerity filling his blue eyes. "You deserve to be happy, Cass."

She smiled appreciatively, cheeks growing warm. "Thanks. And hey, if everything goes according to plan except for the guy part, I'll always have you."

He chuckled, hoping she couldn't detect his nervousness. "How do you mean?"

She looked at him in disbelief, setting her mug down. "Are you kidding? You don't remember the pact we made when we were kids?"

Bryce made a thinking face, trying to recall the childhood memory. "We made a lot of those, and all of them were ridiculous."

"How could you forget? We said that if we weren't married by a certain time, we'd marry each other."

Ah, now it was coming back to him. "I remember! Then we updated it when we were fifteen, remember? Same rules, but only up until 2017."

Cass laughed, arms folded across her chest. "It seems so far away, but it's really only four years."

"Yeah," Bryce then rested his chin on his fist. "You still wanna keep it?"

She stared at him as though he had three heads. "What? You're joking."

"I'm serious." He immediately stuck out his hand. "Let's shake on it. No matter where we are in our lives, we have to check in on each other and see what the other is doing. That includes relationships."

Cassandra rolled her eyes but eventually put her hand in his, giving it a firm shake. "It's a deal."

»»»»

author's note:

hi! my first mlb story is here! i can't exactly take credit for coming up with this idea, but i'm definitely going to give it my own twist and unique points. so i hope you all enjoy (: