the pact | eight.

Cassandra

We finally made our back inside where Mike and Dad were on the couch having what seemed an intense conversation. Neither of them noticed us until Dad got up to get something to drink from the kitchen. "Oh hey, baby. Mike was just asking about you."

Mike looked toward me and then saw Bryce, eyes going wide. "Harper! What a surprise, dude!"

I almost laughed at the expression on Bryce's face as Mike walked over to shake his hand. "Hey, Mike. Long time no see."

"Likewise, bro. How's the season going?"

Bryce shrugged. "As good as can be expected. I feel like we're in a good position to win it all this year."

Mike grinned as we headed back over to the couch. "Aye, don't count the Pirates out! We've got some firepower."

"That's not realistic at all, but okay." Bryce responded in a deadpan tone, to which I nudged him. Hopefully he would get the hint to play nice, or maybe Mike wouldn't detect the disdain that was being spewed his way.

Mike eventually laughed at Bryce's response, but I couldn't tell if it was because he thought it was a joke or that he was trying to ease the tension. Thankfully Dad came in at that time with lemonades for all of us.

"So what brings you in town, Mike?" Bryce asked casually. "I hadn't heard anything about you since you cheated on Cass and broke her heart before freshman year."

I took a sip of my lemonade and tried to look anywhere but Mike's face. I knew that Bryce technically had no reason to be civil towards him except in my defense, but once Mike caught on I didn't need any of this getting ugly. "That's all in the past, Bryce. Once I heard about Mrs. D, I decided to come show my support."

"And we appreciate it." I interjected quickly before Bryce had time to reply. "How'd you hear about her, though? We had pretty much been keeping it quiet."

Mike shrugged, stirring the straw in his glass around. "I forgot, but you know how fast word travels around here..."

I frowned. "Well, I mean I didn't post anything about it. Daddy doesn't have any accounts and I know Bryce didn't. Maybe it was Aaron?" My brother was trotting downstairs just as I'd wondered aloud. "Hey, did you say anything about Mom on social media?"

"No." Aaron came around to where we sat, looking angry. "But I know how everyone else found out."

"Everyone else?" Daddy asked, brows furrowing in confusion. "What do you mean, son?"

Aaron lifted up his cell phone. "Mike not only told his followers that Bryce is in town, but also why he is. He's got 20,000 of them, so I wouldn't be surprised if the paparazzi are tracking down our address right now."

I felt my mouth drop open. Mike's a dick, but I didn't think he'd ever stoop so low. "Are you kidding me? Why would you do that, Mike?"

"Because he's an idiot, that's why." Bryce leapt to his feet and got in Mike's face. "What the hell is wrong with you, man? Her mom is already going through a lot, and you pull a stunt like this? What if the media finds her hospital room, huh?"

"Back off, dude. All I did was send out prayers and said that it was nice that you were in town to support Cassandra! I didn't know there was some type of rule book!"

"It's called common courtesy, Mike!" I shouted, feeling tears in my eyes. "You could've at least checked with me first. You had no right to do any of this."

He held up his hands. "I screwed up, okay? I'm sorry–"

"That's not good enough." Bryce gave him a shove and he nearly stumbled over the back of the couch. "Why are you even here? To gloat?"

"It was a mistake." Mike pleaded.

Before I could blink Bryce's balled fist connected with Mike's jaw and they went down grappling. I screamed and tried to pry Mike out from under him, while Aaron grabbed Bryce.

So much for being civil.

Bryce

"Aaron is an idiot, you know that, right? If he hadn't of pulled me off Mike—"

"Your hand would be in a lot worse shape than it is now, so be quiet." Cass snapped at me, rolling her eyes as I followed her into the upstairs bathroom. She set a Ziploc bag of ice that she'd grabbed from the freezer on the counter, then patted its edge. "Hop up."

I obeyed, having to use my good hand for a boost. She grabbed some supplies from the medicine cabinet in silence, setting things either directly beside me or on the shelving unit near the sink. "Hold out your hand, Bryce."

I outstretched it towards her, pain riveting through my nerves. My knuckles were starting to bruise, and there were a few small cuts, but it definitely felt worse than it looked. "What are you gonna do?"

"Wrap it up for now and then take you to get checked." She grabbed a small bottle and squeezed some of its contents onto a Q-tip, spreading it all over my hand. "This is skin ointment; it helps prevent scarring."

The Q-tip wasn't getting the job done, so she threw it away and gently touched my wrist. "I'm gonna rub it in myself. Let me know if it hurts."

I nodded, and it sure as hell did, but I tried not to complain. I could tell she was upset about what'd happened. She was practically avoiding having to look me in the eyes. "There. Let me grab some gauze tape."

"Cass, look at me." She took time to unfurl the gauze and start the wrapping process before relenting. "I'm sorry, okay? I know you're disappointed or whatever, but Mike had it coming to him."

She exhaled. "I've never seen you that angry before. And I get it, Mike's a jerk. What he did...I would say I'm surprised, but I'm not. I just wish it could've been handled differently."

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't want it any different than him getting punched in the jaw. Guys like that are scum–ow!" I grimaced as she tied it a bit too tight, flexing my fingers so they wouldn't get stiff.

"Sorry," She hastily apologized, looking at me with concern.

"It's fine." I paused for a second. "You know I never liked him, even when you guys were together and happy. I still don't after all these years."

"He's not my favorite person either, but you didn't have to hit him! Even though he deserved it. You're hurt." She finished wrapping the gauze around my hand and then placed the Ziploc bag with ice on top. I winced. "Now you'll be going home with an injury and you won't be able to play."

"I don't care about that. I care about you. Nobody gets away with hurting you in any way, especially not douchebag exes." Cass looked conflicted and started to turn away, but I kept her rooted to the spot by cupping her cheek with my good hand. "I love you, Cass. Can't you see that?"

A beat of silence passed. And then suddenly she inclined her head and pressed her lips to mine, one hand reaching up to rest in my hair. I pulled her against my chest and kissed back ardently, mind racing and heart running ahead of the pack. This was really happening. And I intended to savor every moment of it.