Chapter 8: Late Night, Date Night

Monday morning, when Melanie woke up.  She made her way downstairs.  Peeking around corners to avoid Levi and Victoria.  Though they didn't know anything about her running into Anthony.  They were aware she was out later than normal.  Melanie was certain they'd ask questions.  Though she was good at either dodging the answer, or making up something believable.  Melanie still had yet to come up with a good story of why she was late.  Not that she needed explaining.  Melanie was an adult who could do as she pleased.  But Victoria and Levi loved to be snoopy.

Making her way into the kitchen.  Melanie noticed it was empty for now.  She let out a small sigh. For once, she could have some peace and quiet.  She didn't recall hearing any noise.  So Melanie assumed the two were at work.  "Good morning!"  Victoria's chipperish voice came.  Melanie was so lost in thought.  Thinking about Saturday evening.  She didn't hear the door opening. "Woah!"  Victoria chuckled.  Watching as Melanie jumped.  The cup of coffee almost flew out of her hand.  "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."  Victoria laughed.

Melanie's lips curved into a shy smile.  "It's okay.  I thought you and Levi were at work."  "Well, Levi is.  I went out to grab us some breakfast.  You're right on time."  Victoria lifted the box of donuts.  Then set them in the middle of the table.  The smile widened on Melanie's face. "Thanks."  Victoria swept a glance in her direction.  Noticing Melanie seemed a bit more cheery this morning.  And got a little curious about Saturday.  She was aware Melanie was doing what she could to avoid the questions.  Victoria was anxious for answers.  But she remembered Levi told her to give Melanie space.

"Do you work later?"  Melanie asked, reaching for one of the donuts.  "No, I don't work again till tomorrow afternoon."  Victoria grabbed the chair across from Melanie, sitting down as well. Before reaching for one of the donuts and taking a bite.  "Why?"  "No reason."  "Levi and I both have been busy.  So since we both have this evening off.  We got a reservation for dinner.  But we can change if.."  "Oh no no!"  Melanie interrupted.  "I wouldn't want you guys to do that.  I didn't have anything planned.  I was just curious."

Victoria raised a curious eye.  Did Melanie want them out of the house for a reason?  She questioned, remembering that they'd originally set Anthony up to meet Melanie.  A grin crossed Victoria's lips at the thought.  "Where are you and Levi going?"  "There's a place a few blocks away from the restaurant we went to Saturday.  Levi surprised me this morning.  Before he went to work.  Said he got us reservations."

"Sounds like it'll be a nice evening."  Melanie commented, taking a bite of her donut.  Victoria noticed the conversation going a little quiet.  "Will you be alright.."  Melanie once again cut off Victoria's thought.  "Vic, I can handle being on my own.  I've done it before.  I'm an adult, remember?  Besides.."  Melanie turned, glancing out the kitchen window.  "It looks like it's a nice day.  I thought I'd sit outside and do some reading.  While you two are out."

"I know.  I'm sorry.  I can't help but check in on you.  Old habits.."  A soft smile crossed Melanie's lips.  "And I appreciate you doing so.  But you don't need to.  If I need anything you know I'd tell you right?"  Victoria nodded.  Though she wasn't quite sure she believed Melanie.  It felt like to her, Melanie was still hiding something.  Something seemed off.  Victoria couldn't quite put her finger on the missing piece.

The rest of the day, Melanie felt very relaxed.  She and Victoria visited while waiting for Levi to get off work.  It almost felt like old times.  Since it was a gorgeous day.  The two women sat outside on the front porch swing.  Chatting about anything and everything.  It'd been so long that they both had a nice visit.  These days, it felt like to Melanie, most conversations were of Victoria and Levi asking her if she was okay.  Or if she needed help with anything.  Today, Melanie realized Victoria avoided that topic.  And was grateful that for once, Victoria was giving her space.  Allowing her time to sort everything through.